What does Hinge Reaction signify ? How do i calculate it ?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of hinge reaction and how to calculate it along different axes. It also includes a sample question where a square lamina is hinged at a corner and an impulse is applied. The conversation explores how to calculate the angular impulse and centripetal force in order to find the hinge reaction, but the actual answer differs from the calculated value. The conversation ends with a question about determining the direction of the velocity of the center of mass of the square after the impulse is applied.
Sujith Sizon
Gold Member
I recently came across a lot of problems where components of Hinge Reaction were asked along different axis .

What is hinge reaction ? How do i calculate it ? How do i find its direction ? Does it change angular velocity / acceleration of the body ?Sample Question ) A square lamina of side ##a## is hinged at corner ##A## . An impulse ##P_0## is applied on the lamina as shown . Find the impulse on the hinge due to hinge on the lamina just after ##P_0## is applied ?
http://i.stack.imgur.com/nIAdD.jpg

My attempt-

Angular impulse = Change in angular momentum
##P_{0}a=\frac{2}{3}ma^2 \omega##
##\omega=\frac{3P_0}{2ma}##
Now i found out centripetal force:
##mr {\omega}^2=m\frac{a}{2}{(\frac{3P_0}{2ma})}^{2}##

But the actual answer to the question is ##\frac{P_0}{4} \sqrt{10}##. Why doesn't the centrepetal force yield an accurate value for hinge reaction ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sujith Sizon said:
I recently came across a lot of problems where components of Hinge Reaction were asked along different axis .

What is hinge reaction ? How do i calculate it ? How do i find its direction ? Does it change angular velocity / acceleration of the body ?Sample Question ) A square lamina of side ##a## is hinged at corner ##A## . An impulse ##P_0## is applied on the lamina as shown . Find the impulse on the hinge due to hinge on the lamina just after ##P_0## is applied ?
http://i.stack.imgur.com/nIAdD.jpg

My attempt-

Angular impulse = Change in angular momentum
##P_{0}a=\frac{2}{3}ma^2 \omega##
##\omega=\frac{3P_0}{2ma}##
Now i found out centripetal force:
##mr {\omega}^2=m\frac{a}{2}{(\frac{3P_0}{2ma})}^{2}##

But the actual answer to the question is ##\frac{P_0}{4} \sqrt{10}##. Why doesn't the centrepetal force yield an accurate value for hinge reaction ?

Hello Sujith

I will try to help you with the problem .

As a first step , can you identify the direction of velocity of COM of the square just after the impulse ##P_0## is applied ?

1. What is the definition of Hinge Reaction?

Hinge Reaction is a phenomenon in structural engineering where a structural element experiences a sudden change in its behavior at a specific load level, resulting in a significant increase in deformation or displacement.

2. How is Hinge Reaction different from other structural reactions?

Hinge Reaction is different from other structural reactions, such as fixed or pinned reactions, because it occurs at a specific load level and is not dependent on the type of support or boundary conditions.

3. How do I identify the Hinge Reaction in a structural element?

The Hinge Reaction can be identified by analyzing the load-displacement curve of the structural element. The point where there is a sudden change in the slope of the curve indicates the Hinge Reaction.

4. What factors affect the magnitude of Hinge Reaction?

The magnitude of Hinge Reaction is affected by various factors such as the material properties of the structural element, its geometry, and the type of loading applied.

5. How do I calculate the Hinge Reaction in a structural element?

The calculation of Hinge Reaction involves analyzing the load-displacement curve and determining the point of sudden change in the slope. The magnitude of Hinge Reaction can then be calculated using the appropriate equations and considering the factors that affect its magnitude.