1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What does Hinge Reaction signify ? How do i calculate it ?

1. Nov 9, 2015 #1

Sujith Sizon

Gold Member

I recently came across a lot of problems where components of Hinge Reaction were asked along different axis .

What is hinge reaction ? How do i calculate it ? How do i find its direction ? Does it change angular velocity / acceleration of the body ?

Sample Question ) A square lamina of side ##a## is hinged at corner ##A## . An impulse ##P_0## is applied on the lamina as shown . Find the impulse on the hinge due to hinge on the lamina just after ##P_0## is applied ?
    http://i.stack.imgur.com/nIAdD.jpg

My attempt-

Angular impulse = Change in angular momentum
    ##P_{0}a=\frac{2}{3}ma^2 \omega##
    ##\omega=\frac{3P_0}{2ma}##
    Now i found out centripetal force:
    ##mr {\omega}^2=m\frac{a}{2}{(\frac{3P_0}{2ma})}^{2}##

But the actual answer to the question is ##\frac{P_0}{4} \sqrt{10}##. Why doesn't the centrepetal force yield an accurate value for hinge reaction ?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2015 #2
    Hello Sujith

I will try to help you with the problem .

As a first step , can you identify the direction of velocity of COM of the square just after the impulse ##P_0## is applied ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook