How do i calculate shear stress on a Key and a bolt?

In summary, the conversation was about the difficulties the speaker is facing in attempting the Solidworks Simulation certification, specifically in regards to two questions involving shear stress and shaft torque calculations. The speaker is seeking help and guidance on how to approach these questions and is advised to post their attempts at a solution in the homework forum. The thread is then closed.
Sean Trainor
I have been attempting the Solidworks Simulation certification but keep just missing out by a few marks and I believe these questions are the main ones which are killing me.

I haven't done these calculations in years and I've been lost with how to do the hand calc's. Any help would be appreciated.
Q11 Sim.png
Q12 Sim.png

Physics news on Phys.org
These should be posted in the homework forum, one question per thread, with a proper attempt at a solution.

Thread closed.

1. How do I calculate shear stress on a key and a bolt?

To calculate shear stress on a key and a bolt, you will need to know the force applied to the key or bolt and the cross-sectional area of the key or bolt. The formula for shear stress is shear stress = force/area. Make sure to use consistent units for both force and area.

2. What is shear stress?

Shear stress is the force per unit area that acts in a parallel direction to the surface of an object. In simpler terms, it is the amount of force applied to an object that causes it to slide or shear along a surface.

3. What are the units for shear stress?

The units for shear stress are typically in Pascals (Pa) or Newtons per square meter (N/m^2). However, some industries may use different units such as pounds per square inch (psi) or kilopounds per square inch (ksi).

4. How does shear stress affect a key and a bolt?

Shear stress can cause deformation or failure in a key and a bolt if the applied force exceeds the material's shear strength. This can result in the key or bolt breaking or shearing off, leading to potential safety hazards or equipment failures.

5. What factors can affect shear stress on a key and a bolt?

Several factors can affect shear stress on a key and a bolt, including the applied force, the type of material used, the surface area of the key or bolt, and the environment (temperature, corrosion, etc.). It is essential to consider these factors to ensure the key and bolt can withstand the expected shear stress and prevent potential failures.