What does it mean that a rigid body is in equilibrium?

In summary, equilibrium refers to a state where a rigid body is not undergoing any change in rotational or translational motion. This does not necessarily mean that the body is not moving at all, but rather that its motion is not changing. In practical terms, this means that all forces and moments acting on the body have been cancelled out. If there is a dominant force or moment, it will cause a change in the body's velocity. This concept can be confusing when dealing with rigid-body equilibrium problems, but understanding the definition of equilibrium can help clarify any confusion.
Kolika28
Homework Statement
What does it mean that an rigid body is in equilibrium?
Relevant Equations
##\sum F_x=0##
##\sum F_y=0##
## \sum \tau=0##
So I have always been thinking that equilibrium means that an object is not moving or having constant acceleration. On a webside they said: " A rigid body is in equilibrium when it is not undergoing a change in rotational or translational motion. " To me it sounds like the object then must not be moving or rotating. But in several problems I come across for example this one:

1591634539007.png

The object is moving and is undergoing a rotational motion . I then thought I could not use the equations above. So it makes me a bit confussed and I find it hard to identify when I'm dealing with a rigid-body equlibrium problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
" A rigid body is in equilibrium when it is not undergoing a change in rotational or translational motion."
That doesn't mean it isn't moving. Only that the motion is not changing.

Likes Kolika28
That means that the body is not accelerating or decelerating, neither in rectilinear or circular movement; therefore, all forces or moments acting on it, if any, cancell each other.
If one force or moment prevails among the others, then, the mass of the body will change its linear or/and angular velocity.

Likes Kolika28
Ohh, I see, that make sense. Thank you so much both of you! :smile:

1. What is a rigid body?

A rigid body is a solid object that does not deform or change shape when subjected to external forces. It maintains its shape and size, and all its particles move together when the body is in motion.

2. What does it mean for a rigid body to be in equilibrium?

When a rigid body is in equilibrium, it means that it is not accelerating and the net force acting on it is zero. This can occur when the body is at rest or moving at a constant velocity.

3. How is equilibrium related to Newton's First Law of Motion?

Newton's First Law of Motion states that an object will remain at rest or in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. When a rigid body is in equilibrium, it satisfies this law as there is no net force acting on it to cause a change in its motion.

4. What are the conditions for a rigid body to be in equilibrium?

For a rigid body to be in equilibrium, two conditions must be met: the net force acting on the body must be zero, and the net torque (or rotational force) acting on the body must also be zero. These conditions ensure that the body is not accelerating or rotating.

5. How can we determine if a rigid body is in equilibrium?

To determine if a rigid body is in equilibrium, we can use the equations for calculating net force and net torque. If both values are equal to zero, then the body is in equilibrium. Additionally, we can visually inspect the body and observe if it is at rest or moving at a constant velocity, which would also indicate equilibrium.