What does it mean that a wave packet has an uncertainty

In summary, the equation for the wave packet with uncertainty deltaX = delta/2^(1/2) represents the shape of the wave packet through a function and delta is a constant proportional to the width of the Gaussian wave packet, which measures the position uncertainty in the case of this particular state. The standard deviation of the observable X for the particle can be calculated by finding the square root of the expression <\psi|(x-<\psi|x|\psi>)^2|\psi> for the given \psi(x) with <x>=0.
ehrenfest
What exactly does it mean that a wave packet has an uncertainty deltaX = delta/2^(1/2)? I thought deltaX represented the standard deviation of the observable X for that particle but what does delta mean by itselt on the right-hand side?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
ehrenfest said:
What exactly does it mean that a wave packet has an uncertainty deltaX = delta/2^(1/2)? I thought deltaX represented the standard deviation of the observable X for that particle but what does delta mean by itselt on the right-hand side?

It would be nice if you could explain the context in which you saw this formula. My guess is that the shape of the wave packet was expressed through some function (e.g., a gaussian) and delta was a parameter of this function. Is it true?
Eugene.

I'm sorry. You're right. The equation of the wave packet is

[tex] \psi(x',0) = e^{i p_0 x'/\hbar}\frac{e^{-x'^2/2\Delta^2}}{(\pi\Delta)^{1/4}}[/tex].

So delta just represents some constant, characteristic of a given wave packet?

ehrenfest said:
I'm sorry. You're right. The equation of the wave packet is

[tex] \psi(x',0) = e^{i p_0 x'/\hbar}\frac{e^{-x'^2/2\Delta^2}}{(\pi\Delta)^{1/4}}[/tex].

So delta just represents some constant, characteristic of a given wave packet?

That's right. Parameter delta is proportional to the width of the Gaussian wave packet. Thus delta is a measure of the position uncertainty in this particular case.

Eugene.

ehrenfest said:
I thought deltaX represented the standard deviation of the observable X for that particle

yeah, it does. and you can calculate that quantity in the case of the state you have given. i.e., calculate
[tex]
\sqrt{<\psi|(x-<\psi|x|\psi>)^2|\psi>}
[/tex]

for the [tex]\psi(x)[/tex] you have given and my guess is that you will arrive at the result you want.

Last edited:
...indeed, it's quite easy for your case since <x>=0. you just need to find [tex]\sqrt{<x^2>}[/tex]

1. What is a wave packet?

A wave packet is a mathematical concept that describes a localized wave in space and time. It is a combination of multiple waves with different frequencies and wavelengths, which interfere with each other to create a localized disturbance.

2. What does it mean for a wave packet to have uncertainty?

Uncertainty in a wave packet refers to the fact that its position and momentum cannot be precisely determined at the same time. This is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics, known as the Heisenberg uncertainty principle.

3. How is uncertainty related to the size of a wave packet?

The size of a wave packet is inversely proportional to its uncertainty. This means that the more precisely we know the position of a wave packet, the less certain we are about its momentum, and vice versa.

4. What factors can affect the uncertainty of a wave packet?

The uncertainty of a wave packet can be affected by various factors, such as the wavelength and frequency of the constituent waves, the shape of the packet, and the environment in which it is observed.

5. Can uncertainty in a wave packet be reduced?

No, according to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, uncertainty in a wave packet is an inherent property and cannot be reduced beyond a certain limit. However, we can make measurements and calculations that can provide more accurate values for either the position or momentum of the wave packet.