What does it mean that inner product is bilinear and non-singular

In summary: I am really lost hereThe author of the book says that the wedge product is bilinear and non-singular if and only if the following two conditions are met:1) The function f(u,v) is bilinear, which means that f(au+ bw,v)=af(u, v)+bf(w,v).2) The function f(u,v) is non-singular, which means that for all u and v, f(u,v) is not zero.
rayman123

Homework Statement

Hello everyone! I am reading abour Poincares duality between 2 cohomology groups and here comes an inner product defined as

[itex] \left\langle \omega, \eta\right\rangle \equiv \int_{M}\omega \wedge \eta[/itex]

and then the author of my book says ''The product is bilinear and non-singular'' that is if [tex] \omega\neq 0[/tex] or [itex] \eta \neq 0[/tex] , [itex]\left\langle \omega, \eta\right\rangle [/tex] cannot vanish identically...
can someone please explain me this concept, what does it mean bilinear and non-singular??

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
A function, f(u, v), is "bilinear" if and only if f(au+ bw,v)= af(u, v)+ bf(w,v) and f(u, av+ bw)= af(u,v)+ bf(u,w).

Non-singular simply means that f(u,v) is not 0 for all u and v.

HallsofIvy said:
A function, f(u, v), is "bilinear" if and only if f(au+ bw,v)= af(u, v)+ bf(w,v) and f(u, av+ bw)= af(u,v)+ bf(u,w).

okej so f is a function of 2 variables, and are a and b some constants? I am not sure If I understand this equation...
Oh now I think I am getting it

Last edited:
I have another question about the very same wedge product

in my book it is written
[tex][\omega \wedge \eta][/itex] is independent of the choice of the representatives of [tex] [\omega][/tex] and [itex] [\eta][/tex]. For example if we take [itex] \omega^{'}=\omega+d\psi[/tex] instead of [itex] \omega[/tex] we have

[itex] [\omega^{'}\wedge \eta]\equiv [(\omega+d\psi)\wedge \eta]=[\omega\wedge \eta+d(\psi\wedge \eta)]=[\omega\wedge \eta][/tex]

then the term [tex]d(\psi\wedge \eta)=0[/tex] but why
I checked the definition for the wedge product [tex] d(\omega\wedge \eta)=(d\omega)\wedge \eta+ (-)^{q}\omega\wedge (d\eta)[/tex] where [itex] \omega\in \Omega^{q}(M)[/tex] and [itex] d\omega\in \Omega^{q+1}(M)[/tex]

But I cannot see it giving me 0...Could you show it to me how did they get [tex]d(\psi\wedge \eta)=0[/tex]

Related to What does it mean that inner product is bilinear and non-singular

What does it mean that inner product is bilinear?

A bilinear inner product is a function that takes in two vectors and outputs a scalar value, and satisfies two properties: linearity in the first argument and linearity in the second argument. This means that the inner product is distributive and additive with respect to vector addition and scalar multiplication.

What does it mean that inner product is non-singular?

A non-singular inner product is one that satisfies the property of non-degeneracy, meaning that the inner product of any vector with itself is only equal to zero if the vector itself is equal to the zero vector. In other words, the inner product is only equal to zero if the vectors are orthogonal.

What is the significance of inner product being bilinear and non-singular?

The bilinear and non-singular properties of inner product are important because they allow for the definition of geometric concepts such as length, angle, and orthogonality in vector spaces. These properties also allow for the use of inner product in calculations and proofs in various branches of mathematics, such as linear algebra, functional analysis, and differential geometry.

How is inner product different from dot product?

The inner product and the dot product are closely related, but they differ in their definition and properties. The dot product is a specific type of inner product that is defined only in three-dimensional Euclidean space, while the inner product can be defined in any vector space. Additionally, the dot product is symmetric and commutative, while the inner product can have different properties depending on the vector space it is defined in.

Can the inner product be extended to complex vector spaces?

Yes, the inner product can be extended to complex vector spaces, but it is defined slightly differently. In a complex vector space, the inner product is anti-linear in the first argument and linear in the second argument. This means that the inner product satisfies the properties of conjugate symmetry and linearity in the second argument, instead of linearity in both arguments as in the case of real vector spaces.