1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What does living in exponential times mean?

1. Oct 21, 2013 #1
    What does living in exponential times mean?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Nothing - by itself.

A quick google shows that it is often used as a buzz-phrase - so it means whatever the person using it wants it to mean.
    Usually there is some reference to the pace of change or the growth of information technology which is asserted to be especially difficult to handle these days.

4. Oct 21, 2013 #3
    "Exponential times" usually is applied as a characteristic of an algorithm such that the time it takes to process some amount of information grows exponentially when the amount of information grows linearly, which means the time requirement grows very rapidly. This is obviously not a desirable feature for an algorithm, so this might serve as an eloquent form to say "trouble".

5. Oct 21, 2013 #4

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If I had to guess I would say it means we live in a period when "progress" (whatever that means) is being made at an exponential rate. Nearest example I can think of might be ..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moore's_law

6. Oct 21, 2013 #5

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I know you're trying to help. But please, please, for the love of God, stop trying to guess what the OP means. It just adds to the confusion.

This question is hopelessly vague without context. The OP needs to tell us where he has seen this phrase, and then - and only then - can we help him.

7. Oct 21, 2013 #6

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Hi threy,

Following on what Vanadium 50 said, this is Physics Forums, not Psychics Forums. Please don't try to make us guess what you are thinking. Be as explicit and detailed as possible, including scientific or academic references if possible.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook