What does living in exponential times mean?

• Thread starter threy
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Answers and Replies

Simon Bridge
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Nothing - by itself.

A quick google shows that it is often used as a buzz-phrase - so it means whatever the person using it wants it to mean.
Usually there is some reference to the pace of change or the growth of information technology which is asserted to be especially difficult to handle these days.

"Exponential times" usually is applied as a characteristic of an algorithm such that the time it takes to process some amount of information grows exponentially when the amount of information grows linearly, which means the time requirement grows very rapidly. This is obviously not a desirable feature for an algorithm, so this might serve as an eloquent form to say "trouble".

CWatters
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
If I had to guess I would say it means we live in a period when "progress" (whatever that means) is being made at an exponential rate. Nearest example I can think of might be ..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moore's_law

Moore's law is the observation that, over the history of computing hardware, the number of transistors on integrated circuits doubles approximately every two years.

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2019 Award
I know you're trying to help. But please, please, for the love of God, stop trying to guess what the OP means. It just adds to the confusion.

This question is hopelessly vague without context. The OP needs to tell us where he has seen this phrase, and then - and only then - can we help him.

Hi threy,

Following on what Vanadium 50 said, this is Physics Forums, not Psychics Forums. Please don't try to make us guess what you are thinking. Be as explicit and detailed as possible, including scientific or academic references if possible.