1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What does mg(theta) means in the equation of motion?

1. Jan 29, 2016 #1
    In the case of inverted pendulum attached in a cart with external force U on it,

the equation of motion is like
    U - mg(theta1) - mg(theta2) = m*dv/dt

I dont really understand the mg*theta part what does it mean ....should not be sine or cosine fn there with theta ???

can anyone give me some insight on this
    thanks in advance ....really appreciate it.

p.s. I HAVE ATTACHED THE FULL QUESTION HERE AS WELL

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2016 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

It's just the equations of motion for the cart and the two pendulums. If you want to get more information you need to provide us with some first. E.g., we have to know what you are supposed to assume (e.g., are you supposed to use the least-action principle). Also it looks pretty much like a homework problem, which you should post in the corresponding subforum!

4. Jan 29, 2016 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

The problem statement says "small neighborhood of the equilibrium" which means the θ's are small so you can use approximations like sin θ ≅ θ.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook