What does the following means?

• MHB
  • Thread starter cbarker1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Means
In summary, when asking about the meaning of a statement, phrase, or word, it is important to provide context and specify what exactly is being referred to in order to get an accurate answer. It is also recommended to consult multiple sources for a better understanding. Additionally, the relevance of the term to the topic at hand may vary and there may be specific definitions or interpretations to consider. Providing examples can also aid in understanding, but these may vary depending on the context and interpretation of the term.
cbarker1
Gold Member
MHB
Dear Everybody,
What does the following means:
Two straight lines cannot have any two points of one coincide with two points of the other without the lines coinciding altogether?

I think it means that line can't overlap with itself.

Thanks,
Cbarker1

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I take that statement to mean that no two straight lines can have two points in common without being the same line (coinciding).

In other words, in Euclidean geometry, two distinct lines are either parallel, and have no points in common, or intersect, and have exactly one point in common.

1. What does "following" mean?

The word "following" can have multiple meanings depending on the context. It can mean the act of going after or coming after something, or it can refer to something that happens or comes after something else. It can also be used to describe a group of people who support or admire someone or something.

2. What does "following" refer to in this context?

Without more context, it is difficult to determine the specific meaning of "following." It could refer to a list of items or instructions, a group of people, or a sequence of events. More information is needed to accurately answer this question.

3. How is "following" used in a sentence?

"Following" is often used as a verb in a sentence, such as "I am following the instructions." It can also be used as an adjective, as in "The following items are required." It can also be used as a preposition, as in "Following the meeting, we will have lunch."

4. Is "following" a synonym for "next"?

No, "following" and "next" are not always synonymous. While they can both refer to something that comes after something else, "next" often implies a specific order or sequence, while "following" can be more general and refer to anything that comes after something else.

5. Can you provide an example of "following" in a sentence?

Yes, here are a few examples: "Following the recipe, I added the eggs." "The following people are invited to the party." "The following day, we went to the beach." "I am following my dreams and pursuing a career in science."