What Does the RREF of a 4x3 Matrix with a Unique Solution Look Like?

In summary, the conversation discusses a linear system with four equations and three unknowns that has a unique solution. The rref of the coefficient matrix is shown for a system with three equations and three unknowns. It is noted that a system with four equations and three unknowns has an additional row with all zeros, indicating multiple solutions. The conversation ends with a question about the rref of a specific system with a unique solution.
maximade

Homework Statement

Consider a linear system of four equations with three unknowns. We are told that the system has a unique solution. What does the rref of the co efficient matrix look like?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

When it says "unique solution" I'm going to guess it means it has 1 solution.
Correct me if I'm wrong but, I believe that a system of 3 equations with 3 unknowns that has a unique solution will look like this:
[ 1 0 0 l x
0 1 0 l y
0 0 1 l z]

But for a system that has 4 equations with three unknowns, would it look like this:
[ 1 0 0 l x
0 1 0 l y
0 0 1 l z
0 0 0 l k] ?
This is what gets me, when a row has all 0's it means that it has multiple solutions.
Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
maximade said:

Homework Statement

Consider a linear system of four equations with three unknowns. We are told that the system has a unique solution. What does the rref of the co efficient matrix look like?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

When it says "unique solution" I'm going to guess it means it has 1 solution.
Correct me if I'm wrong but, I believe that a system of 3 equations with 3 unknowns that has a unique solution will look like this:
[ 1 0 0 l x
0 1 0 l y
0 0 1 l z]

But for a system that has 4 equations with three unknowns, would it look like this:
[ 1 0 0 l x
0 1 0 l y
0 0 1 l z
0 0 0 l k] ?
This is what gets me, when a row has all 0's it means that it has multiple solutions.
Thanks in advance.

x=1, y=2, z=3 and x+y=3 has a unique solution. What does it's rref look like?

Related to What Does the RREF of a 4x3 Matrix with a Unique Solution Look Like?

1. What is a system of equations?

A system of equations is a set of multiple equations that are solved together to determine the values of the variables. It represents a set of relationships between different variables and can be used to solve real-world problems.

2. What is a matrix?

A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers or variables arranged in rows and columns. It is used to represent and solve systems of equations, as well as perform other mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, and multiplication.

3. How do you solve a system of equations using matrices?

To solve a system of equations using matrices, you first need to represent the equations in matrix form. This involves creating a coefficient matrix, a variable matrix, and a constant matrix. Then, you can use matrix operations such as row operations, Gaussian elimination, or Cramer's rule to solve for the variables.

4. What is the difference between a consistent and an inconsistent system of equations?

A consistent system of equations has at least one solution, meaning the equations intersect at one point. An inconsistent system of equations has no solution, meaning the equations do not intersect at any point. This can also be represented in matrix form, where a consistent system will have a unique solution and an inconsistent system will have no solution or infinitely many solutions.

5. How do you know if a system of equations has infinitely many solutions?

A system of equations has infinitely many solutions if the equations are dependent, meaning they represent the same line or plane and therefore intersect at every point. This can be represented in matrix form by having a row of zeros in the coefficient matrix or by having the same determinant equal to zero for all variables in the variable matrix.