What are the energy eigenvalues of a harmonic oscillator?

In summary: Instead, we use the so-called "Planck's constant h/2π##. So ##E_n## will always be written in terms of the "energy level number" ##n## and the "quantum number" ##\hbar##. This formula describes the energy of an oscillator that is in a state of definite energy. This energy is described by the eigenvalues of the Hamiltonian, which are the energies of the individual energy levels of the oscillator.
Lotto
TL;DR Summary
I have this formula ##E_n=hf\left(n+\frac 12 \right)##. I don't understand what energy it describes.
Is it a total energy of a vibrating molecule? So is it a sum of potential and kinetic energy? Or it is only a total energy of a vibrational motion of the molecule? Or is it only a potencial energy, when it is related to a dissociation curve? I am confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
Lotto said:
TL;DR Summary: I have this formula ##E_n=hf\left(n+\frac 12 \right)##. I don't understand what energy it describes.

Is it a total energy of a vibrating molecule? So is it a sum of potential and kinetic energy? Or it is only a total energy of a vibrational motion of the molecule? Or is it only a potencial energy, when it is related to a dissociation curve? I am confused.
It looks the energy levels of an ideal harmonic oscillator, and will be the sum of the potential and kinetic energy of the oscillator. How this relates to a vibrating molecule depends on how accurately the molecule can be modeled as an ideal harmonic oscillator.

In general, we know what energies are involved by looking at the Hamiltonian that we started with. In the case of the ideal harmonic oscillator, that Hamiltonian contains a kinetic energy term and a potential energy term.

Likes vanhees71, gentzen, PeroK and 4 others
Indeed, these are the energy eigenvalues of a harmonic oscillator. It describes the conserved total energy of the oscillator, when it is prepared in a state of determined energy. The possible values of this total energy are the eigenvalues of the Hamilton operator,
$$\hat{H}=\frac{1}{2m} \hat{p}^2 + \frac{m \omega^2}{2} \hat{x}^2.$$
The energy eigenvalues are
$$E_n=h f \left (n+\frac{1}{2} \right) = \hbar \omega \left (n+\frac{1}{2} \right), \quad n \in \{0,1,2,3,\ldots \}=\mathbb{N}_0,$$
where ##\hbar=h/(2 \pi)## is the "modified quantum of action/Planck's constant)". Nowadays almost nobody uses the original ##h## anymore.

Likes topsquark

1. What is a harmonic oscillator?

A harmonic oscillator is a physical system that exhibits periodic motion around a stable equilibrium point. It is characterized by a restoring force that is proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium point.

2. What are energy eigenvalues?

Energy eigenvalues are the possible values of energy that a system can have. In the case of a harmonic oscillator, these values are quantized, meaning they can only take on certain discrete values.

3. How are energy eigenvalues determined for a harmonic oscillator?

The energy eigenvalues of a harmonic oscillator can be determined using the Schrödinger equation, which is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of quantum systems. The solution to this equation yields the energy eigenvalues of the system.

4. What is the significance of energy eigenvalues in a harmonic oscillator?

The energy eigenvalues in a harmonic oscillator represent the different energy levels that the system can have. These levels are important because they determine the frequencies at which the system can vibrate, and therefore, the behavior of the system.

5. Can the energy eigenvalues of a harmonic oscillator change?

No, the energy eigenvalues of a harmonic oscillator are fixed and cannot change. However, the system can transition between these energy levels by absorbing or emitting energy in the form of photons.