What does this word mean in physics language?

In summary, relative and arbitrary have similar meanings when it comes to comparing quantities or positions. Relative refers to using a reference point to give meaning to a quantity, while arbitrary means there is no specific reason for choosing a reference point or unit. The expression "relative to B" can have different meanings, either in a coordinate system fixed to B or when subtracting the value at B. In classical physics, the speed of an object A relative to B is v(A)-v(B), but in the theory of relativity, it is not always the case.
kyin01
relative and arbitrary

for example

"I can take relative to any point I choose. I choose this point here arbitrary"

And

"relative to that point."

Physics news on Phys.org
They mean the same as they do in English.

You said it in your post. For instance, velocity can be considered relative because it needs a reference point - generally, it means that you need 2 pieces of information for a quantity to be meaningful. So if I say somethings has a speed of 5m/s, that's meaningless, but if I say 5m/s relative to that lampost, then it has meaning.

Arbitrary - exactly that. When comparing quantities relative to each other and a third reference point, we can use arbitrary units. E.g. if one car in a drag race is moving 2x faster than another relative to the start point and we use arbitrary time units, it does not matter what units we use (metres, feet, Planck lengths, etc), the relative velocity will be 2x. In general, that means no specific reason for choosing a unit/point of reference.

Arbitrary point/quantity value x: any point or quantity value from the space of allowed positions/values.

The expression " relative to B" can have different meanings:
sometimes it means "in coordinate system fixed to B", else it can mean "when the value at B is subtracted".
Those two meanings are sometimes identical, sometimes not. For example: speed of object A in the system fixed on object B is
v(A)-v(B) in classical physics, but not in the theory of relativity.

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of "force" in physics?

In physics, force is defined as a push or pull on an object that causes it to accelerate or change its motion.

2. How is "energy" defined in physics?

In physics, energy is defined as the ability to do work or cause change. It can exist in many forms, such as kinetic, potential, thermal, and electromagnetic.

3. What does "velocity" mean in physics language?

In physics, velocity refers to the rate of change of an object's position with respect to time. It is a vector quantity that includes both magnitude (speed) and direction.

4. What is the definition of "mass" in physics?

In physics, mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object. It is a scalar quantity and is often measured in kilograms (kg).

5. What does "work" mean in the context of physics?

In physics, work is defined as the product of force and displacement, in the direction of the force. It is a measure of the energy transferred to or from an object by a force.