What electives would be most beneficial?

In summary: Interesting. Good to know. The college I'm at right now in Seattle offers a 3 course series (that's supposed to be for compsci transfers) that eventually ends in a course dedicated to C++. I've heard of some undergrad programs offering a "computer science for physics majors"-esque type course. I guess I... don't know if it would count or not.
Austin Matthews
I recently changed my major to physics from business. I would be going into my senior year as a business student had I stayed, so I have all my core requirements done. While I'm catching up on some maths, I'll need to fill my schedule with electives to remain a full-time student. What courses should I consider? Astronomy? Programming? Basic engineering?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm at the same proverbial crossroads as you, with little help from the academic advisors at school. From what I've researched/found/heard, programming is a big one, but as far as which languages to take, there are conflicting opinions. I think astronomy would be good depending on what you plan on specializing in later down the road, but again, I am not an expert. My counselor told me that I do need to take some physical science electives, but gave me little information as to which physical science electives would benefit me the most. I suppose at this stage, it's a crap shoot either way. We don't exactly know what we want to specialize in so we can't quite decipher which extra science courses would be the most beneficial. If you find any information or answers on this, I'd love to hear them.

CrystalCaribean said:
I'm at the same proverbial crossroads as you, with little help from the academic advisors at school. From what I've researched/found/heard, programming is a big one, but as far as which languages to take, there are conflicting opinions. I think astronomy would be good depending on what you plan on specializing in later down the road, but again, I am not an expert. My counselor told me that I do need to take some physical science electives, but gave me little information as to which physical science electives would benefit me the most. I suppose at this stage, it's a crap shoot either way. We don't exactly know what we want to specialize in so we can't quite decipher which extra science courses would be the most beneficial. If you find any information or answers on this, I'd love to hear them.
I'm definitely considering astronomy. I have a huge interest in space and distant galaxies, so astrophysics is an obvious candidate for a specific field. Hopefully you and I both can benefit from the information shared in this thread.

Likes CrystalCaribean
It'd be helpful if you know specifically what field of physics you'd like to work in, but you are not expected to, so its fine. To learn what kinds of research are being done in physics, I recommend attending department colloquiums if your school have them.

Programming will be useful in any fields of physics you enter, especially in astrophysics (numerical relativity, plasma physics [which is basically applied fluid dynamics], etc..). Taking intro courses in each subdisciplines, such as astronomy and materials, might help you develop your interest.

playoff said:
It'd be helpful if you know specifically what field of physics you'd like to work in, but you are not expected to, so its fine. To learn what kinds of research are being done in physics, I recommend attending department colloquiums if your school have them.

Programming will be useful in any fields of physics you enter, especially in astrophysics (numerical relativity, plasma physics [which is basically applied fluid dynamics], etc..). Taking intro courses in each subdisciplines, such as astronomy and materials, might help you develop your interest.

Any experience on which programming languages are best to take for physics majors? It's difficult to find time to squeeze in two, let alone three different languages... Plus, most CompSci programs are impacted in southern California and it's extremely difficult to get into ANY of the classes at all, but alas, that's an entirely different problem.

CrystalCaribean said:
Any experience on which programming languages are best to take for physics majors?

Python, FORTRAN, C/C++ are all quite common. (I've used all three today, with some perl as well!)

To be honest though, most of the utility in taking a programming class isn't in learning one particular language - there are a bunch of skills common to all programming that you will need to learn. After you've got the basics down, it's pretty easy to pick up other languages.

Likes CrystalCaribean
e.bar.goum said:
Python, FORTRAN, C/C++ are all quite common. (I've used all three today, with some perl as well!)

To be honest though, most of the utility in taking a programming class isn't in learning one particular language - there are a bunch of skills common to all programming that you will need to learn. After you've got the basics down, it's pretty easy to pick up other languages.

Interesting. Good to know. The college I'm at right now in Seattle offers a 3 course series (that's supposed to be for compsci transfers) that eventually ends in a course dedicated to C++. I've heard of some undergrad programs offering a "computer science for physics majors"-esque type course. I guess I just didn't want to spend time learning something I wasn't going to use, student loans sure do stack up fast! Lol. I'll take another look into the available course series, thanks :)

1. What are the most popular electives for science majors?

The most popular electives for science majors vary depending on the specific field of science and the individual interests of the student. However, some common elective choices for science majors include courses in biology, chemistry, physics, computer science, and mathematics.

2. Are there any electives that can improve my research skills?

Yes, there are several electives that can improve research skills, such as statistics, data analysis, and experimental design courses. These courses can provide valuable skills for conducting and analyzing scientific research.

3. Which electives can help me stand out to graduate schools or employers?

Electives that demonstrate a broad understanding of the sciences, as well as strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills, can help you stand out to graduate schools or employers. Some examples include courses in bioinformatics, environmental science, and scientific communication.

4. Are there any electives that can help me with my career goals?

Yes, there are many electives that can help you with your career goals in science. For example, if you are interested in pursuing a career in healthcare, electives in anatomy and physiology or medical terminology could be beneficial. If you are interested in science education, electives in science teaching methods or curriculum development could be helpful.

5. Can I take electives outside of my major?

Yes, it is often encouraged for science majors to take electives outside of their major. This can help broaden your knowledge and skill set, and may even lead to unexpected connections and insights in your field of study. Just be sure to consult with your academic advisor to ensure the electives will count towards your degree requirements.