Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What engineer would be involed in this?

  1. Nov 11, 2006 #1
    Well first off this is my first post and I'm a first year engineering student. I've always loved boating and stuff like that and was wondering as to what kind of engineer would be involved in the desin of the hull and the boat as a whole. Not so much the materials but like the shape and maybe the tower on a wakeboarding boat? I've just been thinking about some possible things I'd want to do when I get out of school.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2006 #2


    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

    Some schools have ocean engineering programs.

    - Warren
  4. Nov 11, 2006 #3


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor

  5. Nov 11, 2006 #4
    would a mechanical engineer work on a boat other than its engine?
  6. Nov 12, 2006 #5


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor

    Oh heck yeah. As MEs, we deal with pumps, fluids, thermodynamics, structures...you name it. Think of any system on a ship and an ME could be part of those who developed it. Even in electrical systems.
  7. Nov 12, 2006 #6
    cool! Thanks guys!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?