1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I What equation is this one?

1. Feb 7, 2017 #1
    I have a t-shirt with a next print:

sin-tc3adtulo.jpg

But I am not sure what equation is. I only know that is something related with light. But I haven't found it. I am not sure if it is one from quantum electrodynamics or some advanced course in physics. I would appreciate that somebody could tell me which one is

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2017 #2

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't have much of a guess, but since nobody else has responded, I'll tell you that to a mechanical engineer, the general form looks similar to d'Alembert's[/PLAIN] [Broken] principle (see equation 1 in that link) in mechanics in that you seem to have an infinitesimal displacement on the far right and an acceleration on the left-hand side. But more broadly, d'Alembert's principle is a variational approach (see, e.g., Fermat's[/PLAIN] [Broken] principle, which is an example of variational methods applied to light propagation). Not much, but it might help your search.

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
  4. Feb 7, 2017 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The ##\Gamma## looks like a Christoffel symbol (although it should have two indices as superscripts and one as subscript), and the equation seems to be about general relativity.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  5. Feb 7, 2017 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The Christoffel symbols usually have two subscripts and one superscript, which the equation has.

6. Feb 7, 2017 #5

mfb

2016 Award

All examples I found had it the opposite way. Maybe both ways are common. Well, just a matter of convention of course.

Edit: I got confused, ignore this post.

7. Feb 7, 2017 #6

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The Wikipedia page you link to has it the "normal" way. Two down and one up. I have never seen two up and one down.

8. Feb 7, 2017 #7

mfb

2016 Award

Wait, I got confused. Yes, one up, two down. Ignore my previous post.

9. Feb 7, 2017 #8
    Something looks funny about that equation. It looks like there are dot products ##x^R \cdot \gamma##. Which means that ##x## and ##\gamma## are tensors. But if that's the case, then what rank is ##\gamma##? The rank of the LHS and RHS ought to be the same, but it doesn't seem possible. The second term in the curly brace seems to have a dot between the two derivatives, but this might just be a multiplication. All the dots might be simply multiplications. It's too bad that mathematical notation can be so ambiguous.

10. Feb 7, 2017 #9

DrGreg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

First, I think the ##R## really should be a ##k## and has been transcribed incorrectly.

I would guess this is supposed to be what, in more conventional tensor notation, would be written:

And God said:$$
    \frac{D^2\gamma^k}{dt^2} = \frac{d^2\gamma^k}{dt^2} + \Gamma^k{}_{ij} \frac{d\gamma^i}{dt} \frac{d\gamma^j}{dt}
    $$... and there was the Universe...*

It expresses acceleration along a curve ##\vec{\gamma}(t)## in non-Cartesian coordinates, where ##\vec{x}^k## is the ##k##th coordinate dual basis covector and so ##\gamma^k = \vec{x}^k \cdot \vec{\gamma}##. But they seem to have messed it up and I can't work out why there's an extra ##(\gamma(t))## in the middle of it all. Presumably the ##\delta_k## is the basis vector too.

*Translation assisted by Google Translate

11. Feb 7, 2017 #10

jedishrfu

I think its an artificially contrived equation designed to look cool similar to Japanese t-shirt logos with nonsense English.

But Dr Greg's explanation is quite plausible too.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted