What explains this potato light socket & battery?

In summary, there is a video on Facebook about a potato being used as a light socket and battery. The video shows how energy can be generated using different metal coatings on a screw and base section of the light bulb, similar to a "lemon battery." However, the circular magnets shown in the video do not appear to be functioning. Some viewers believe the video is fake and only created for entertainment or to generate views.
swampwiz
There is an interesting video @ Facebook about a potato that is made into a light socket & battery:

https://www.facebook.com/HECHOenNUE...218328082289/1950024855234964/?type=2&theater

Now, I see how the generation of energy is done in the way that a "lemon battery" is done, here using the different metal coatings of the screw & base section of the light bulb, but I am an unclear on what is going on with the circular magnets.

Science news on Phys.org
Interesting video, but my impression is that it is fake.

Charles Link said:
Interesting video, but my impression is that it is fake.
yeah, would have to agree ... the magnets and turns of wire are not doing anything and everything...
the wires from the magnets and the terminals of the globe are completely shorted out by the fluids in the potatoe

Likes Charles Link
Totally rubbish video. It is either a mains voltage bulb or a joke shop LED bulb with a battery inside it. See this link.
swampwiz said:
I am an unclear on what is going on with the circular magnets.
I am clear that Nothing is going on with them. :wink:

Likes cnh1995, davenn and Charles Link
People get paid per view. That's why there are so many fake videos on the web.

Likes sophiecentaur and Charles Link

1. What is the scientific explanation for the potato light socket and battery?

The potato light socket and battery experiment works due to the chemical reaction between the potato and the metal components of the light socket and battery. The potato acts as an electrolyte, allowing the flow of electrons between the anode (positive end) and cathode (negative end) of the battery, creating a circuit and powering the light bulb.

2. How does a potato conduct electricity?

A potato is a good conductor of electricity because it contains water and ions, which can carry the flow of electrons. The potato also has a low resistance, allowing the electrons to move more easily through it.

3. Why does the light bulb only light up when the potato is connected to both the battery and the light socket?

The light bulb only lights up when the potato is connected to both the battery and the light socket because the potato is completing the circuit. Without the potato, there is no path for the electrons to flow and power the light bulb.

4. Can any type of potato be used for this experiment?

Yes, any type of potato can be used for this experiment as long as it has a high enough water content. However, some potatoes may work better than others due to variations in water and ion content.

5. Is this experiment safe to do at home?

Yes, this experiment is safe to do at home as long as proper precautions are taken, such as using a low voltage battery and being careful when handling sharp objects. It is always recommended to have adult supervision when conducting any science experiment.