Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I What explains this potato light socket & battery?

1. Jul 17, 2017 #1
    There is an interesting video @ Facebook about a potato that is made into a light socket & battery:

https://www.facebook.com/HECHOenNUE...218328082289/1950024855234964/?type=2&theater

Now, I see how the generation of energy is done in the way that a "lemon battery" is done, here using the different metal coatings of the screw & base section of the light bulb, but I am an unclear on what is going on with the circular magnets.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2017 #2

Charles Link

Homework Helper

Interesting video, but my impression is that it is fake.

4. Jul 17, 2017 #3

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

yeah, would have to agree ... the magnets and turns of wire are not doing anything and everything....
    the wires from the magnets and the terminals of the globe are completely shorted out by the fluids in the potatoe

5. Jul 17, 2017 #4

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Totally rubbish video. It is either a mains voltage bulb or a joke shop LED bulb with a battery inside it. See this link.
    I am clear that Nothing is going on with them. :wink:

6. Jul 23, 2017 #5

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

People get paid per view. That's why there are so many fake videos on the web.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted