What fantasy universe would you live in?

In summary, I love Lord Dunsany's The King Of Elfland's Daughter for its poetic beauty, but I would also prefer Narnia.
There is a book called "Autumn Angels". In it a Bim (yes...read it sometime) comes to Earth and on a whim transforms all of mankind into Men Like Gods complete with immortality. Anything that can be imagined can be done by these transformed humans. The book is completely entertaining.

Physics news on Phys.org
Odins Acolyte said:
Anything that can be imagined can be done [...]
Hmm. Ever heard of the Krell from the classic movie "Forbidden Planet"? Didn't turn out too well for them... :uhh:

I love that movie.

I'll choose Harry potter

Middle Earth its so beautiful I don't think I would miss the technology.

Fantasy world for sure middle earth, sci-fi world the EVE universe.
Jumping light years and going to different parts of galaxies in a couple minutes count me in.

JayJohn85 said:
Middle Earth its so beautiful I don't think I would miss the technology.
Try cleaning out a few outhouses before you decide!

Fantasy universes are so cool! I actually don't know what to choose, hehe. But if I only had to pick one, I'd probably choose Narnia as well. It's just so majestic.

And a thought came to me just now. The REAL world is also full of never ending fantasies. Living in the real world isn't so bad. ;)

viryan23 said:
The REAL world is also full of never ending fantasies.
Umm,... that "version" of the real world is called Delirium.

Living in the real world isn't so bad. ;)
Tell that to the Syrian civilians.

strangerep said:
Hmm. Ever heard of the Krell from the classic movie "Forbidden Planet"? Didn't turn out too well for them... :uhh:

Haha good point! That is still one of the most awesome movies ever made. It's a really good piece of sci-fi film history, in that the dialogue and to an extent the acting is very much of its era, but the sci-fi themes and details totally stand the test of time and even now are not dated at all. I read that the monster was given a subtle goatee beard as a hint, and on watching closely, there it is!

Alternatives

a) Skyrim (only as the Dragonborn of course)

b) in a Star Wars world pre-The... Menace (real or imagined)

c) in a time loop like the one where Kissoon lives in Clive Barker's The Great and Secret Show. Don't aks me why this time loop exists in the nanosecond before the Trinity explosion, and don't ask Clive Barker. (btw, I think this is the only long Barker book I like.)

a game STAR LEGENDS The blackstar chronicle
You can be the character as in game after playing it.
I am playing it for 2 years and yet not find a better game.

I'd like to live in a Universe that has evolved subject to only two simple constraints: 1: That it be
big enough to accommodate an indefinite amount of interesting latently complicated stuff and
happenings and 2: That all this would fit and work together in a strictly logical way. No fairy
doings allowed!

I’d prefer this universe to extend to infinity straightforwardly with Euclidean geometry and, since
it may to begin with have been too compact for stuff to explore latent prospects, it should be
expanding. For stuff to fit and work together logically, cause and effect should be able to link
freely everywhere. I’d not allow barriers inside my universe that inhibit cause and effect! So an
infinite, expanding, Euclidean, causal universe would suit me just fine.

Let’s model a region of such an Ideal (for me) universe with simple physics (this is Physics forums, so it's allowed?). Choose this region to be a sphere, radius R, mass/energy M, average mass/energy density d, so that M = 4/3 pi R^3d in a Euclidean way.

Then, if geometry is to be Euclidean while the model sphere expands against the pull of its own
gravity, say at a fractional linear rate of H per second, General Relativity (our best theory of
gravity) proscribes a critical density of d = 3H^2/8 pi G, where G is Newton’s constant.

But sadly the region’s mass generates an unwanted (by me) spherical cause-and effect-inhibiting
barrier, called a Schwarzschild Horizon, at a radius of GM/c^2, where c is the (always locally
measured) speed of light. Happily, by restricting the ratio (Horizon radius/R) to unity, this
unwanted barrier can be banished to the sphere’s surface and then be disposed of entirely by
letting R run off to infinity, so that the model region covers all of an infinite (albeit spherical)
universe with the Schwarzschild Horizon banished to ‘just outside’, wherever that is. When we combine the
expressions for M, d and horizon radius for this Ideal expanding model, we find simply that
(RH)^2 = 2 c^2.

Let’s now compare this Ideal universe with the ‘real’ Universe we live in. Observations show that
light would take T = 13.7 billion years (about 4.3 x 10^17 sec) to reach us from the Universe’s
origin, so this light could have covered a distance of c T metres (always locally measured) since the
Big Bang. Suppose we use R = c T as a lower-bound estimate of R. Since the presently
measured fractional linear expansion rate, measured from redshift observations, is accepted to be
about H = 2.17 x 10^(-18) per second, a rough estimate for our Universe is (RH)^2 = 0.45 c^2,.
The fact that both 0.45 and 2 are of the same order of magnitude as unity may be coincidental. Or, as I
hope, it may lend some credibility to the constraints I proposed earlier, to help answer questions like "why are things as they are?

Anyway I’m happy to be in a Universe so quantitatively close to my Ideal!

Likes Sorcerer
Paulibus,that would be like programming a universe.
lol

Yes indeed. What language should I use for programming?

Paulibus said:
Yes indeed. What language should I use for programming?
For programming a universe,you would need infinite programming functions variables etc.

Star Trek Voyager for me. It is the series I cared the most about. I would also find Harry Potter to be a pretty neat world to live in as well.

MacLaddy said:
Like my above post, I have to suggest Codex Alera by Jim Butcher. Especially if your a fan of the Harry Dresden novels.

Similar to other series, it is basically a Feudal system, but abolishment of slavery and individual rights is a major underlying theme of these books.

A week or so ago I was browsing for something new to read and remembered this recommendation and so downloaded Furies of Calderon. Now I'm just a few chapters from the end of the series and I've absolutely loved it :biggrin: thanks for the tip!

Psinter said:

Cool. A ff fan here. Bit old school. I'll go with worlds--Xenogear or Starocean.^^

julcab12 said:
Cool. A ff fan here. Bit old school. I'll go with worlds--Xenogear or Starocean.^^
Not really all of FF. More likely FFX only. Their love story was cute and that totally grabbed me into that world. Maybe that's why like that world so much. But yes, other FF universes are attracting too.

Starocean's cool. :smile:

Middle Earth with the elves.

Rivendell, to be exact.

Last edited:
esuna said:
Middle Earth with the elves. Rivendell, to be exact.
Umm,... you realize that most of the history of the Noldor in Middle Earth is essentially thousands of years of tragedy, right? :frown:

I think the Wheel of Time universe would be pretty cool to live in.

strangerep said:
Umm,... you realize that most of the history of the Noldor in Middle Earth is essentially thousands of years of tragedy, right? :frown:

That makes it even more appealing.

Does that make me weird?

micromass said:
That makes it even more appealing.

Does that make me weird?
It means we're more similar than I had guessed, so you should probably be more concerned about that. :rolleyes:

I wonder if Peter Jackson will ever do any of the Silmarillion stories, e.g., Beren & Luthien which ends badly, or The Children of Hurin whose ending is even worse. Not exactly cute little hobbit stuff.

I'd like to be Garfield cat, from the cartoons. A world where my appetite is the absolute will.

strangerep said:
I wonder if Peter Jackson will ever do any of the Silmarillion stories, e.g., Beren & Luthien which ends badly, or The Children of Hurin whose ending is even worse. Not exactly cute little hobbit stuff.

I don't know if that would appear to a general audience as much. The Lord of the Rings was a great book, as was The Hobbit. The Silmarillion, however, I think has the more intricate plot lines. Generally, I think there is a perception in Hollywood to treat your audience as low attention span idiots, so I don't see the funding be fronted for it as much. Of course, they may strip down the story of the Silmarillion as they did with the Lord of the Rings. Personally, I've always felt the Lord of the Rings movies were a joke. A bad one at that.

stardust said:
I don't know if that would appear to a general audience as much.
Yeah, the Silmarillion stories need a lot of fleshing out, but I don't think the Wellington team has what it takes. Maybe writers with more edginess, like maybe Benioff, Espenson, etc. Game of Thrones has done really well, but it's certainly not for children.

Personally, I've always felt the Lord of the Rings movies were a joke. A bad one at that.
I was disappointed with them when they first came out, but I find them a little less objectionable when I watch them on DVD occasionally. But only a little.

From the Hobbit movies, it seems PJ still doesn't understand that ordinary Orcs don't run around in daylight. :grumpy:

PJ's Smaug was exceptional, though. Much better than I anticipated, possibly a bit too big, but that's PJ all over. The under-mountain plot detours became ridiculous, imho, though not as laughable as a stunning female woodelf being attracted to a dwarf (sigh).

Hmm. I'm surprised nobody has said "Equestria." What's with the scarcity of bronies here? :tongue2:

Anyways, check this out:

1. It has a benign, immortal, and wise monarch. I subscribe to the philosophy that the best form of government is such. The key issue is that usually some jerk takes the throne, or someone incompetent, and ruins it for everybody. But with the monarch being benign, immortal, and wise, it's a pretty awesome place, not to mention it bleeds into the culture quite a bit.

2. It has magic. Imagine a second field of physics. That's kinda what it's like. I would make no end of studying magic and its interactions with physics. Telekinesis, teleportation, transformation, levitation, casting shields, illusions, age spells... It goes on and on.

I mean, it's kind of like going to the Harry Potter universe. I'd relish the opportunity to hardcore study the mathematical formulations behind spells and such. I'm sure you could find plenty of patterns in the data. It'd also be fun to play with the blurry edges of things.

"This spell only works to transform one type of animal into another." "Define: 'animal...'"

3. 1910's era tech, more or less. If you carried over your Earthly knowledge, you could become the Einstein, Goddard and Bohr of this world simultaneously... And then see what happens when you combine the known laws of physics with magic.

4. As a whole, the setting is peaceful, but not perfect. Daily life won't be boring, by any stretch, but you won't have to worry about any wars or such, not normally, anyways. And the general populace is very friendly.

5. The early stages of civilization mean that you won't be quite so hard pressed to find a job; ie, not as much competition, and "lower-end" menial jobs pay relatively better in this universe. I don't know about higher-end jobs, but it seems they'd be even better.

6. And yes, this is the "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic" universe, so presumably you'd be an equine of some kind. What this means is, that even if somehow the very worst possible things happen, you can still survive on grass. Or if you just want to save money for things other than "fine dining."

7. Adorable populace. I absolutely adore the main protagonist. She's very much a scholarly type. 'nuff said.

Normally kid's shows would drive one to insanity to live in, but I'd say this one is surprisingly well-done enough that it represents a more or less sane world. It's a world with a culture with strong ethical values, at core. Most of the negative stereotypes of kid's shows don't apply.

Heh, I've never watched a my little pony but I see why it's so popular when described like that. Still doesn't entice me but sounds nice nevertheless. I also like the idea that magic could be studied rigorously, not much fantasy out there like that though. The KingKiller Chronicles has a pretty good go at it with magic being studied at a university and requiring knowledge of maths, chemistry and other fields (depending on the type of magic).

Along those lines a fantasy universe that I would not want to live in is Charles Stross's Laundryverse. It takes place in the present day and is a perfect blend of lovecraft, spy, IT and mundane office work all in one. "Magic" is the result of certain computations which cause effects in the ultraverse that prompt lovecraftian horrors to do stuff. A key theme is that the world is heading towards an apocalypse as the amount of thinking humans has increased so much that the elder gods are starting to take notice. Also quite funny and easy to empathise with if you've ever worked in an office :tongue2:

Ryan_m_b said:
Heh, I've never watched a my little pony but I see why it's so popular when described like that. Still doesn't entice me but sounds nice nevertheless. I also like the idea that magic could be studied rigorously, not much fantasy out there like that though. The KingKiller Chronicles has a pretty good go at it with magic being studied at a university and requiring knowledge of maths, chemistry and other fields (depending on the type of magic).

Heh, one large aspect of the protagonist's past, is that she's spent most her life at prestigious schools studying magic (she got accepted by showing natural talent at a young age, and now it's pretty well canonized that she's one of the most powerful magicians around because she studies magic so much.) She still seems to be something of a grad student, spending just about all her free time studying, reading, and on one occasion doing what seemed to be chemistry of some kind. Though once the events of the series start she's no longer at the school, much to her disapproval.

FYI to better understand your brony friends, this character is Twilight Sparkle, the purple unicorn :P

Ryan_m_b said:
Along those lines a fantasy universe that I would not want to live in is Charles Stross's Laundryverse. It takes place in the present day and is a perfect blend of lovecraft, spy, IT and mundane office work all in one. "Magic" is the result of certain computations which cause effects in the ultraverse that prompt lovecraftian horrors to do stuff. A key theme is that the world is heading towards an apocalypse as the amount of thinking humans has increased so much that the elder gods are starting to take notice. Also quite funny and easy to empathise with if you've ever worked in an office :tongue2:

"Laundryverse". I think you've got us convinced to agree with you at that part XD

I'd live in the Kamen Rider multiverse, but only if I could be a Rider myself. I think I'd make a good Decade (Violent Emotion) or maybe Dark Kabuto. Of course, Wizard is awesome as well, but if I was one of the Wizard riders, I'd be Shiroi Mahoutsukai (aka the "White Wizard" or Kamen Rider Wiseman,) because he's badass and not a goody-two-shoes like Wizard proper

To me, it has to be the Amber world from Roger Zelazny's novels. If you'd get the same lifespan and ability to walk among shadow like the children of Oberon do, I can't imagine a more interesting world.

The Midlands sound nice.

<h2>1. What is a fantasy universe?</h2><p>A fantasy universe is a fictional realm or world that is created by an author or artist, often with elements of magic, supernatural creatures, and alternate realities.</p><h2>2. Why would someone want to live in a fantasy universe?</h2><p>Many people are drawn to the idea of living in a fantasy universe because it offers an escape from reality and allows them to experience new and exciting adventures that are not possible in their everyday lives.</p><h2>3. What are some popular fantasy universes?</h2><p>Some popular fantasy universes include J.R.R. Tolkien's Middle Earth, J.K. Rowling's Wizarding World, and George R.R. Martin's Westeros. Other well-known examples include the worlds of Narnia, Oz, and Wonderland.</p><h2>4. How do fantasy universes compare to our own world?</h2><p>Fantasy universes often have different rules and laws of nature, allowing for the existence of magic, mythical creatures, and supernatural abilities. They also tend to have more fantastical and imaginative landscapes and cultures.</p><h2>5. What factors should I consider when choosing a fantasy universe to live in?</h2><p>Some factors to consider when choosing a fantasy universe to live in may include the level of danger, the type of magic or powers available, the social and political systems, and the overall aesthetic and atmosphere of the world.</p>

1. What is a fantasy universe?

A fantasy universe is a fictional realm or world that is created by an author or artist, often with elements of magic, supernatural creatures, and alternate realities.

2. Why would someone want to live in a fantasy universe?

Many people are drawn to the idea of living in a fantasy universe because it offers an escape from reality and allows them to experience new and exciting adventures that are not possible in their everyday lives.

3. What are some popular fantasy universes?

Some popular fantasy universes include J.R.R. Tolkien's Middle Earth, J.K. Rowling's Wizarding World, and George R.R. Martin's Westeros. Other well-known examples include the worlds of Narnia, Oz, and Wonderland.

4. How do fantasy universes compare to our own world?

Fantasy universes often have different rules and laws of nature, allowing for the existence of magic, mythical creatures, and supernatural abilities. They also tend to have more fantastical and imaginative landscapes and cultures.

5. What factors should I consider when choosing a fantasy universe to live in?

Some factors to consider when choosing a fantasy universe to live in may include the level of danger, the type of magic or powers available, the social and political systems, and the overall aesthetic and atmosphere of the world.