What happens to water droplets and ice cubes at zero pressure?

In summary, at a low enough pressure, water droplets and ice cubes become vapor and steam, respectively. This process is called sublimation. Depends on the phase diagram of water, it is not impossible for water to be in equilibrium at a low pressure and liquid state. However, this state is not long-lasting, as it is not an equilibrium. Additionally, the question asked what happens at equilibrium, so my understanding is that we are observing the system as it goes to equilibrium. In the end, all the atoms are in the gas phase. Boiling water will occur in space if a beaker of water is held during a space-walk.
quantum123
What happens to water droplets and ice cubes at zero pressure?
Does it depends on the phase diagrams of water?
What if at the same time, the temperature is absolute zero or very close to it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Phase diagram is all you need.

So what is the answer?
Do we need to invoke the concept of vapor pressure?

Vapor pressure plays a crucial role.

It occurred to me that question is not precise. Initially I assumed by 'zero pressure' you mean zero pressure from the beginning of the experiment to the end of the experiment. But if it is that we just start with zero pressure and we proceed in some closed volume, whatever evaporates will increase the pressure - so it won't be zero.

How about throwing some ice cubes and spraying your garden hose out of the space shuttle?

That's close to assumption that volume is infinite, so the pressure is constant - and for all practical purposes equals zero.

--
methods

At a low enough presure, you don't have water droplets, only solid (ice) and vapor (steam), similar to frozen CO2 at atmospheric pressure. The evaporative process of solid to gas is called sublimation.

Depends. There is nothing wrong with situation when you have a zero pressure and liquid water - it won't last long, as it is not an equilibrium, but it is not impossible.

And the question - as posted - asked "what happens", so my understanding is that we not necesarilly start at equilibrium, but we observe system as it goes to equilibrium.

So if we let ice cubes float around in space-walks and there will be sublimation - in other words, they will all vaporize? But I thought there are attractive intermolecular forces to hold the solid together?

It is all in the phase diagram. Forces that you mentioned are temperature dependent and what we see is effect of dynamic equilibrium. Molecules on the surface always evaporate (sublimate), molecules close to the surface always condense. Depending on the pressure and tepmerature speed of these processes change and either evaporation or condensation dominates, moving mass from solid or liquid to gas phase or back.

Do you have a link to a the water phase diagram? (an accurate one)

quantum123 said:
So if we let ice cubes float around in space-walks and there will be sublimation - in other words, they will all vaporize? But I thought there are attractive intermolecular forces to hold the solid together?

The solid is a low-energy configuration compared to the gas, but remember that atoms can have a distribution of energies as they jiggle randomly against each other. All it takes is for an atom on the surface to gain enough energy to detach, and it's gone, into the vacuum, never to return. In the end (equilibrium), all the atoms are in the gas phase.

Will water boil in space?
If I hold a beaker of water during a space-walk, will I see bubbles coming out?

Yes.

You don't need a space walk for that. Take a syringe, fill it with hot water (hot tap water should do). Block the exit and pull the piston so that there is a vacuum created over the water. You will see water boiling for a few seconds, till it reaches equibrium between temperature of water and pressure above.

Similar effect can be seen during vacuum filitration.

--

1. What happens to water droplets and ice cubes at zero pressure?

At zero pressure, water droplets and ice cubes will undergo sublimation, which is the process of transitioning directly from a solid to a gas without first becoming a liquid. This is because at zero pressure, the vapor pressure of water is greater than the external pressure, causing the water molecules to escape into the gas phase.

2. Can water droplets and ice cubes exist at zero pressure?

Technically, water droplets and ice cubes cannot exist at zero pressure because they will undergo sublimation. However, if the external pressure is slightly above zero, they can exist as supercooled water and supercooled ice, respectively.

3. How does zero pressure affect the phase transition of water droplets and ice cubes?

At zero pressure, the phase transition of water droplets and ice cubes will occur faster due to the absence of any external pressure holding them together. This means that they will sublimate at a lower temperature compared to when they are at atmospheric pressure.

4. What is the relationship between temperature and pressure in determining the behavior of water droplets and ice cubes at zero pressure?

At zero pressure, the behavior of water droplets and ice cubes is primarily determined by temperature. As the temperature increases, the vapor pressure of water also increases, which leads to a higher rate of sublimation. However, if the temperature is too low, the water molecules may not have enough energy to overcome the intermolecular forces and sublimation may not occur.

5. How does the surrounding environment affect the behavior of water droplets and ice cubes at zero pressure?

The surrounding environment, particularly the humidity, can affect the behavior of water droplets and ice cubes at zero pressure. A higher humidity means that there is more water vapor in the air, which can decrease the rate of sublimation as the water molecules will be less likely to escape into the gas phase. On the other hand, a lower humidity can increase the rate of sublimation.