What happens when we observe an electron?

• I
  • Thread starter AhmedHesham
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electron
In summary, according to the book and the lecturer, the interference pattern disappears when you shine light onto an electron, but according to the lecturer this happens because the electron behaves like a particle. However, both sources say that if you never measure the electron then it behaves like a wave.
AhmedHesham
I have learned about the principles of quantum mechanics from two sources. The first is a book called quantum mechanics concepts and applications. The second is prof. Allan Addams lectures in MIT. But they have different opinions about what happens to the interference pattern of electrons when we observe them. Allan Adams says when we send light to the electron it changes its momentum and this causes the interference pattern to change slightly if we use low frequency light and greatly if we use a high frequency light. But the book doesn't think so. It says that when we send light, the interference disappears completely regardless of the frequency as if the electrons behave like bullets .what do you guys think about that?

Likes Peter Hutchinson
Physics news on Phys.org
Likes Peter Hutchinson
Ok I'll have a look.

AhmedHesham said:
what do you guys think about that?

Do either of these sources give references to actual experiments?

Likes vanhees71
PeterDonis said:
Do either of these sources give references to actual experiments?
Of course no. That's why I suspect them here and ask for help.i am a high school student. I don't know much about physics sources. Please help me. ☺

Hi Ahmed,

I attached a screenshot of the part in the lecture about which I think you were talking.

I have also attached a screenshot of two of the pages from the book which you referenced.

Initially (and I haven't looked too deeply into it) I'm thinking that the two are saying the same thing:

that when you shine light at the incident electrons there's no longer an interference pattern on the screen.

What do you think?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-02-11 at 23.42.39.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-11 at 23.42.39.png
    92.4 KB · Views: 523
  • Screen Shot 2018-02-11 at 23.44.11.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-11 at 23.44.11.png
    56.2 KB · Views: 556
Douglas Burn said:
Hi Ahmed,

I attached a screenshot of the part in the lecture about which I think you were talking.

I have also attached a screenshot of two of the pages from the book which you referenced.

Initially (and I haven't looked too deeply into it) I'm thinking that the two are saying the same thing:

that when you shine light at the incident electrons there's no longer an interference pattern on the screen.

What do you think?
Hi Douglas, yes both of them say the interference disappears .the question is how does it happen. According to the book it happens like magic but prof Allan explained it in a way that makes sense. The question is about whether what happens is unexplainable or it's simply explained by the Compton effect. I mean prof Allan explain it using Compton effect.

The Compton effect is this stuff isn't it

Screen Shot 2018-02-12 at 01.32.52.png
Screen Shot 2018-02-12 at 01.30.04.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-02-12 at 01.32.52.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-12 at 01.32.52.png
    6.3 KB · Views: 867
  • Screen Shot 2018-02-12 at 01.30.04.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-12 at 01.30.04.png
    6.3 KB · Views: 898
That's quite interesting. So The two sources you mentioned are saying that if the light source is not there then you get an interference pattern (which implies that the electrons are behaving like waves).

But if you have light hitting the electrons before they hit the screen then you get a distribution on the screen reminiscent of the distribution for the baseball / bullet example (which implies that the electrons are behaving like particles).

I reckon that this is something to do with the idea that in Quantum Mechanics if you measure a property of a quantum mechanical system then the system collapses into a definite state.

in this case the system is an electron and you are measuring it's position by shining light onto it and getting a flash when the light hits the electron which is telling you the electron's position.

As soon as you have determined the electron's position then it remains a discreet particle. But if you never measure it (no light) then it stays as a wave.

If you're familiar with the example of Schrodinger's cat then this all might sound quite familiar.

1. What is the uncertainty principle and how does it relate to observing an electron?

The uncertainty principle, proposed by Werner Heisenberg, states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle, such as an electron, simultaneously. This means that the act of observing an electron changes its position and momentum, making it impossible to know both values exactly.

2. Can we observe an electron without affecting its behavior?

No, according to the uncertainty principle, the act of observing an electron will always affect its behavior. This is because the tools we use to observe particles, such as light or other particles, interact with the electron and alter its state.

3. How do we observe an electron?

Electrons are typically observed using particle accelerators, such as the Large Hadron Collider, which allow us to study their behavior by colliding them with other particles. Other methods include using high-powered microscopes or measuring the electron's energy levels in an atom.

4. What happens when we observe an electron's spin?

When we observe an electron's spin, we are essentially measuring its angular momentum. This can give us valuable information about the electron's energy level and its interactions with other particles.

5. How does observing an electron help us understand the behavior of matter?

Studying the behavior of electrons through observation allows us to better understand the fundamental building blocks of matter. By understanding how electrons interact and behave, we can gain insight into the properties of different materials and their reactions in various environments.