What identity should I substitute for the integral of sin^4(x)*cos^4(x)?

• Thread starter jaggtagg7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power Sin
In summary: E.Smith@gmail.com said: In summary, you need to use equations (1) and (2) to solve for sin x and cos x.
jaggtagg7
can't figure this problem out for the life of me.
the intergral of:

sin^4(x)*cos^4(x)

any help as to what idenity i should sub in?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you still have your calculus textbook, there should be an entire section devoted specifically to integrals of this type. It's a good section to have handy as a reference, so I strongly suggest looking it up.

As for this particular example, have you noticed that the integrand is the same as (sin x cos x)^4 dx? (I'm assuming you meant to have a dx in there, though you didn't state it)

yes i have my book, but it doesn't help me figure out this problem which is what i need to do. what we've been doing is intergrals with one trig function to an odd power, and the other to an even. so the method has been substitue something for a trig power squared. i am lost as to what to do with two evens. i have tried using the same type of subsitutions but it has given me nothing. and i don't see where your suggestion leads me.

The section really should have something on the case when they're both even powers as well... you should double check. I remember usually having to look through the section a couple times to find it in the text they used at the university to which I went.

As for my hint... if you stare at it, there should be something that leaps out and screams "do this" -- it's something that really should have come up before.

If not, once you figure it out or are told what it is, remember for the future. :smile:

[tex] \sin 2x =2\sin x \cos x [/tex] (1)

[tex] \cos^{2}x=\frac{1+\cos 2x}{2} [/tex] (2)

[tex] \sin^{2}x=\frac{1-\cos 2x}{2} [/tex] (3)

is all u need to solve this

[tex] \int \sin^{4}x\cos^{4}x \ dx [/tex]

Daniel.

Related to What identity should I substitute for the integral of sin^4(x)*cos^4(x)?

1. What is the power of sin in mathematics?

The power of sin is a mathematical concept used in trigonometry to represent the magnitude of a wave or oscillation. It is calculated by taking the square of the sine function.

2. How is the power of sin used in real-life applications?

The power of sin is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and music to analyze and understand the behavior of waves and oscillations. It is also used in signal processing to filter out unwanted signals.

3. What is the relationship between the power of sin and the power of cosine?

The power of sin and the power of cosine are related by the Pythagorean identity, which states that the square of the sine function plus the square of the cosine function equals 1. This relationship is useful for solving trigonometric equations and simplifying expressions.

4. How do you integrate the power of sin?

To integrate the power of sin, you can use the trigonometric identity: ∫sin²(x)dx = (1/2)(x - sin(x)cos(x)) + C. This formula can be derived using integration by parts.

5. Can the power of sin be negative?

Yes, the power of sin can be negative in certain situations. This occurs when the sine function has a negative value, resulting in a negative power of sin. However, when calculating the power of sin, we take the absolute value to represent the magnitude of the wave or oscillation, so the power of sin is always a positive value.