What if capasitor plate in different size

• Thread starter mentatx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plate
In summary, if you want to make a plate with an area that is different from the other, you need to use plates that are not parallel. The area of the large plate will not change the capacitance, but the area of the small plate will.
mentatx
hi..
cant set both site fit face face.. ( not meaning paralel)
if make one side I mean plate much bigger.. and athor plate respectivel small (whic calculated area..) ..
So what happens.. I think I could use small one while callculating Area.. ?
2. if I am not iright is there any mistake approxamation..error rate
3. and would it bigger then my fit error ..while trying to put equal plate face to face instead above..
thnx..

Physics news on Phys.org
mentatx said:
hi..
cant set both site fit face face.. ( not meaning paralel)
if make one side I mean plate much bigger.. and athor plate respectivel small (whic calculated area..) ..
So what happens.. I think I could use small one while callculating Area.. ?
2. if I am not iright is there any mistake approxamation..error rate
3. and would it bigger then my fit error ..while trying to put equal plate face to face instead above..
thnx..

I'm not sure what you are asking? Are you asking whether you can use plates that aren't parallel and so are at some angle to each other?

If you did this then you would end up with a lower capacitance than if they were parallel. If one plate was larger than the other, then the area wouldn't change, as the area refers to the area which is parallel to the other, so you would only have the area of the small plate available.

there is no problem being paralel.. as I mentioned above..
are you answering due to some teorotical calculation.. or experimantal value..
between plates I am usign ceramics.. so one side bigger ..other side smaller.. and doest affect any dielectric mesaurment .. electrical measurement??
am I right.. cp values are around 10E-12 ..
so am I doing it right? have no time to test it.. I am just looking.. that is tested..
anyway.. thnx alot.. and waiting your reply..

C = [tex]\frac{\epsilon A}{d}[/tex]
Where;
C is capacitance
[tex]\epsilon[/tex] is the permittivity
A is the *parallel* area
d is the distance between the plates

So it doesn't matter how large the plate is, both plates need to be big if you want C to be big.

* The top is not working, it should be [tex]\epsilon[/tex] * A

I am not having problem to make plates big.. I know what the formule is..
just asking plate size different ..
so pls read above more detailed ..
thnx..

two plae is not identical (they are paralell.. their areas are different.) .. and so what happens..?

For your sake mentatx I sure hope that English isn't your first language!

Last edited:
I'm not sure if I understand exactly what you’re asking?

madmike159 said:
I'm not sure if I understand exactly what you’re asking?

[URL]http://www.physics.sjsu.edu/becker/physics51/images/25_02ParallelPlateCap.JPG[/URL]

I think he wants to know how capacitance would be effected if, for example, the top plate had an area 2A.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeap.. that is it..
and if it is.. what is the error rate...
and.. is there any searh about it.. any calculted data.. I am looking for erron about 10E-15
thnx..

and .. I know what I am using... I mean language.. the reason is.. I want answer from cabaple person..

no one... ??

1. What is the purpose of using capacitors with different sized plates?

Capacitors with different sized plates are used to store and release electrical energy. The size of the plates determines the capacitance, or ability to store charge, of the capacitor.

2. How does the size of the capacitor plates affect the capacitance?

The size of the plates directly affects the capacitance of a capacitor. A larger plate surface area results in a higher capacitance, while a smaller plate surface area results in a lower capacitance.

3. What happens if one plate of the capacitor is larger than the other?

If one plate of the capacitor is larger than the other, the capacitance will be unevenly distributed. This can lead to unequal charging and discharging of the capacitor, affecting its overall performance.

4. Can the size of the capacitor plates be changed after assembly?

No, the size of the capacitor plates cannot be changed once the capacitor is assembled. The plates are typically made of metal and cannot be easily altered without damaging the capacitor.

5. How do I determine the ideal size of capacitor plates for a specific application?

The ideal size of capacitor plates for a specific application depends on factors such as the desired capacitance, voltage rating, and physical space constraints. Consult a capacitor manufacturer or use online calculators to determine the appropriate size for your needs.