What if objects go toward each other rather than away

• Thread starter Skhandelwal
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of all objects in the universe stopping and falling toward each other due to gravity. The question arises whether they would come to rest once they have merged into one object or if they would continue to get more dense until they form a Big Bang or a Big Crunch. The conclusion is that they would become more dense and form black holes, but not necessarily a Big Bang.
Skhandelwal
If we all objects for some reason stop, then by gravity, they will all start submerging w/ each other. Well, what I was wondering is that if that happens, would it be satisfied when everything becomes one, or would it start getting more and more dense till it can't get dense anymore and then big bang?

Physics news on Phys.org
Interpretation:
"If all the objects in the universe suddenly stopped, and fell toward each other by gravity, would they come to rest once they're all part of one object, or would they begin getting more dense until they can't get any denser, and then form a Big Bang?"
Is that right?

They would begin getting more dense (long before they became one object) and would form black holes.

They would not form a Big Bang, they might form what is better known as the Big Crunch.

Hey now...! I just answered this, and here is is again. Little glitch there. Sorry, Dave... you beat me to it, but I didn't realize that the same post was duplicated until I hit this one.

1. What is the difference between objects moving towards each other and away from each other?

When objects move towards each other, they are getting closer together, whereas when they move away from each other, they are getting farther apart.

2. How does gravity affect objects that are moving towards each other?

Gravity causes objects to accelerate towards each other when they are moving towards each other. The strength of gravity between two objects is dependent on their masses and the distance between them.

3. What would happen if two objects with the same mass were moving towards each other?

If two objects with the same mass were moving towards each other, they would collide and either bounce off each other or merge together, depending on the force of the collision.

4. Can objects moving towards each other change direction?

Yes, objects moving towards each other can change direction if they are affected by another force, such as a gravitational pull from a third object or a collision with another object.

5. How does the speed of objects moving towards each other affect their collision?

The speed of objects moving towards each other determines the force of their collision. The faster the objects are moving, the stronger the impact will be when they collide.