What if the universe is not a bubble, but a sponge?

In summary: This site discourages creative thought spawned from a "what-if" kind of theme. It seems to me, that "You better have supporting evidence, or just shut up and don't bother anyone around here" kind of thinking goes on.
Lamented_Soul
Is it possible that a Type III Parallel Universe theory could accommodate the idea of universes being bubbles, with a semi-permable outer membrane, that sits in a hyperspace made of dark energy. During it's cyclic inflations and deflations, it could absorb (and expel, respectively) dark energy through this semi-permeable membrane, literally causing expansion and contraction. Now, I know there are a lot of problems with this initially, but if it were really thought on, do you think a structurally sound theory could arise from this idea? (I know I'm probably not the first one to think of this)

Space news on Phys.org
It's possible that we're a zit on god's rump... do you have any basis for this beyond the fact that it's an interesting notion? I know of no observational evidence that would specifically rule this in, and as I've never heard of the notion before I doubt there is much to rule it out.

nismaratwork said:
It's possible that we're a zit on god's rump... do you have any basis for this beyond the fact that it's an interesting notion? I know of no observational evidence that would specifically rule this in, and as I've never heard of the notion before I doubt there is much to rule it out.
Well, if I were to explain this "notion", as you so eloquently put it, in more detail, it does use or "borrow" many ideas from different models. I tried to type the whole explanation out the other day, but it took so long that by the time I had finished, the site had logged me out due to inactivity. But it goes a little something like this: The universe is a frozen bubble due to over expansion that eventually lowered the universal temperature filled completely with dark energy with all matter being reduced to it's smallest forms. It collides with another active and hot universe, the resulting energy, jump starts deflation, causing a rather violent contraction. It's sort of like defibbing a heart. This contraction causes the universe to expel dark energy through this semi-permeable membrane. Once the contraction has reached the smallest point possible without collapsing into a singularity, it starts to re-absorb the surrounding dark energy, causing expansion. This cycle continues with lessening extremes after every inhale (contraction) and exhale (Inflation), until there's that final exhale that returns it back to it's frozen state of below absolute zero.

There's more detail, but I don't have time to type it all out at the moment.

I'm sorry, but this sounds like an entertaining personal theory without any substantive basis, and this violates forum rules. Just a heads up.

nismaratwork said:
I'm sorry, but this sounds like an entertaining personal theory without any substantive basis, and this violates forum rules. Just a heads up.
So is there anywhere I can go that actually supports independent thought? Because it seems that this site discourages creative thought spawned from a "what-if" kind of theme. It seems to me, that "You better have supporting evidence, or just shut up and don't bother anyone around here" kind of thinking goes on. Don't get me wrong, this site is great for asking questions about theories that have been published. But, when it comes down to creative, original thoughts and ideas, it seems the ToS says "Take that junk somewhere else, because we don't want any".

Lamented_Soul said:
So is there anywhere I can go that actually supports independent thought? Because it seems that this site discourages creative thought spawned from a "what-if" kind of theme. It seems to me, that "You better have supporting evidence, or just shut up and don't bother anyone around here" kind of thinking goes on. Don't get me wrong, this site is great for asking questions about theories that have been published. But, when it comes down to creative, original thoughts and ideas, it seems the ToS says "Take that junk somewhere else, because we don't want any".

I wouldn't take it the wrong way; from what I've gathered this site focuses on established theory because it aims to be educational and a kind of recorded resource. If you have any questions about what is accepted or not, I'm sure you can ask any of the mentors, but not being one myself I don't want to give you bad advice. There are certainly other sites where you can spitball personal theories... I think Physorg is one, but I would give PF a chance too. It may be you that you discuss mainstream physics here, and share your personal theories elsewhere... getting the best of both worlds.

I just hope you don't take this personally, because it's just a matter of style and format, nothing pejorative against you or your thinking.

Don't get me wrong, this site is great for asking questions about theories that have been published.
Yes, that's its purpose.
But, when it comes down to creative, original thoughts and ideas, it seems the ToS says "Take that junk somewhere else, because we don't want any".
If you believe that you can meet some minimum scientific standards, you can submit your ideas to the https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=146". If not, well, take that junk somewhere else, as you put it.

Last edited by a moderator:
nismaratwork said:
It's possible that we're a zit on god's rump...

Or for that matter, it could very well be that .. we all live in a yellow submarine ..

heusdens said:
Or for that matter, it could very well be that .. we all live in a yellow submarine ..

Ha! We do, and needless to say, I am the Walrus. Koo koo ka choo

1. What is the current understanding of the universe's structure?

The current understanding of the universe's structure is that it is made up of galaxies, clusters of galaxies, and superclusters. These structures are organized into filaments and voids, creating a cosmic web. This structure is referred to as the "bubble-like" or "foam-like" structure of the universe.

2. What is the theory behind the "sponge-like" structure of the universe?

The "sponge-like" structure of the universe is based on the theory of cosmic inflation, which suggests that the universe underwent a rapid period of expansion in its early stages. This expansion would have caused the universe to stretch and flatten, creating a sponge-like structure with interconnected voids and filaments.

3. How would a "sponge-like" universe affect our understanding of the cosmos?

If the universe is indeed a sponge-like structure, it would challenge our current understanding of the universe's expansion and the mechanisms that drive it. It would also change our understanding of dark matter and dark energy, as these invisible forces play a crucial role in shaping the structure of the universe.

4. What evidence supports the "sponge-like" universe theory?

There is currently no direct evidence that supports the "sponge-like" universe theory. However, recent observations of the cosmic microwave background radiation, leftover radiation from the Big Bang, have shown hints of a sponge-like structure. Additionally, computer simulations have also suggested that a sponge-like universe is a possible scenario.

5. What are the implications of a "sponge-like" universe for future research?

If the universe is indeed a sponge-like structure, it would open up new avenues for research and exploration. Scientists would need to revise their current models and theories, leading to a better understanding of the universe's origins and evolution. It could also potentially provide new insights into the nature of dark matter and dark energy, which are still poorly understood.