What in your opinion is great?

• Thread starter Vivan Vatsa
  • Start date
In summary: It's easy to give an answer that can't be verified or refuted, as many have done. But just look at that picture I posted from Sacsayhuaman. Look at the delicate curves in blocks weighing 100 tons or more that exactly match the delicate adjoining curves. It wasn't jostled into it's exact position with ropes without damaging the other rocks.The thread is about greatness and this is a GREAT mystery.
Vivan Vatsa
Well searching for many days, I can't understand that what really people think of being great.
Does it means that you are the conqueror of the world or you are the happiest man on earth.
So what is your opinion on being great??

Physics news on Phys.org
Vivan Vatsa said:
Well searching for many days, I can't understand that what really people think of being great.
Does it means that you are the conqueror of the world or you are the happiest man on earth.
"I know it when I see it." -- Lewis Powell.

Likes 1oldman2, Ryan_m_b and Evo
Vivan Vatsa said:
I enjoy it and highly recommend others try it.

Likes CalcNerd, billy_joule, phinds and 3 others
russ_watters said:
I enjoy it and highly recommend others try it.
Russ took the words right out of my mouth!

Evo said:
Russ took the words right out of my mouth!
I know that Meat Loaf is big, but is he great?

fresh_42 said:
I know that Meat Loaf is big, but is he great?
I've never had a truly great meat loaf.

Likes CalcNerd and axmls
Evo said:
I've never had a truly great meat loaf.
You should consider a visit to Germany.

hackbraten.jpg

fresh_42 said:

[PLAIN]http://www.krisenkueche.de/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/hackbraten.jpg[/QUOTE]
oh, now THAT looks GREAT!

Last edited by a moderator:
Vivan Vatsa said:
It's great to be great, of course, of course...

Last edited:
Grating your fingernails on a blackboard is GREAT for irritating people.

I think ants are GREAT or really social insects in general!

Vivan Vatsa said:
What is truly great is the mystery of how very heavy stones, some a hundred and two hundred tons, were quarried, transported, very accurately carved and very precisely positioned so many millennia ago that there are neither written nor oral records about them.

Sacsayhuaman_wall1.jpg

These sites include Sacsayhuaman, Cuzco, Peru; Ollantaytambo, Peru; Machu Picchu, Peru; the Giza Pyramids, Egypt; Tiahuanaco, Bolivia; Nan Madol, Pohnpei, Micronesia; Stonehenge, England; and Easter Island.

These stones were clearly not carved by hand with bronze (or even steel) chisels. Nor were they moved with rope. Some try to say these are evidence of ancient aliens, but that's no different than throwing your arms up in despair.

I'm fairly certain these were constructed with ancient technology and knowledge that was lost in the flood. Several structures, especially the temple at Ollantaytambo and a pyramid north of Giza, are clearly incomplete. The builders got caught in the flood.

The mystery of how they did it is great.

Likes Hoophy
KenJackson said:
What is truly great is the mystery of how very heavy stones, some a hundred and two hundred tons, were quarried, transported, very accurately carved and very precisely positioned so many millennia ago that there are neither written nor oral records about them.

Sacsayhuaman_wall1.jpg

These sites include Sacsayhuaman, Cuzco, Peru; Ollantaytambo, Peru; Machu Picchu, Peru; the Giza Pyramids, Egypt; Tiahuanaco, Bolivia; Nan Madol, Pohnpei, Micronesia; Stonehenge, England; and Easter Island.

These stones were clearly not carved by hand with bronze (or even steel) chisels. Nor were they moved with rope. Some try to say these are evidence of ancient aliens, but that's no different than throwing your arms up in despair.

I'm fairly certain these were constructed with ancient technology and knowledge that was lost in the flood. Several structures, especially the temple at Ollantaytambo and a pyramid north of Giza, are clearly incomplete. The builders got caught in the flood.

The mystery of how they did it is great.

It's actually very well known how many of the examples you give were done.

KenJackson said:
The builders got caught in the flood.
What flood?

phinds said:
What flood?

If it's the flood I'm thinking of, this thread won't last long.

Likes Monsterboy, beamie564, collinsmark and 3 others
micromass said:
According to which reference frame?

micromass said:
It's easy to give an answer that can't be verified or refuted, as many have done. But just look at that picture I posted from Sacsayhuaman. Look at the delicate curves in blocks weighing 100 tons or more that exactly match the delicate adjoining curves. It wasn't jostled into it's exact position with ropes without damaging the other rocks.

The thread is about greatness and this is a GREAT mystery.

micromass said:
Oh, grief. I just started looking at the hour-long video you posted. I fear there may be some confusion.

By calling it a "mystery", I'm not implying that ancient humans didn't actually do it. And I've already gently rejected the ancient alien theory that the video also rejects. I'm merely stating that the knowledge needed to do it is now lost. We don't know how it was done. So it's a mystery. (And a GREAT one at that.)

Likes Hoophy and Sophia
micromass said:
Yeah, me too.

Likes Pepper Mint
KenJackson said:
Oh, grief. I just started looking at the hour-long video you posted. I fear there may be some confusion.

By calling it a "mystery", I'm not implying that ancient humans didn't actually do it. And I've already gently rejected the ancient alien theory that the video also rejects. I'm merely stating that the knowledge needed to do it is now lost. We don't know how it was done. So it's a mystery. (And a GREAT one at that.)

Nono, that's not why I posted the video. Yes, the video refutes the ancient alien theory, but it also goes into quite so detail as to how the constructions were performed.

micromass said:
Nono, that's not why I posted the video. Yes, the video refutes the ancient alien theory, but it also goes into quite so detail as to how the constructions were performed.
That video has some fascinating stuff in it. Especially the central shaft for building the pyramids. But he's kind of glibly dismissive. It was kind of funny that he dismissed some author for saying but not proving something when that's what he did too. In fact you just can't prove a lot of things. Even respected archeologists sometimes disagree on dates by millennia.

If you think they could shape those blocks so they match exactly with stone tools and then position them with a bunch of Roman hoists, you have an awful lot of faith. I guess the little holes would have to be on the hidden edges like his preposterous suggestion for Baalbek. But that doesn't explain how you would get the rope out. It's just a heuristic without a plan.

BTW, Gornaya Shoria in Siberia might have some blocks as heavy as 4000 tons. (I say "might" because some are trying to say these nice rectangular blocks in a wall high in the mountains are natural.) FOUR THOUSAND tons! That would take 800 Roman hoists on one block, with perfect weight distribution. It would take too much faith to believe that.

It's still a GREAT mystery.

KenJackson said:
If you think they could shape those blocks so they match exactly with stone tools and then position them with a bunch of Roman hoists, you have an awful lot of faith.

It is completely plausable. And every alternative is completely ridiculous.

Why don't you tell us how you think they did it?

The book "American Prometheus, the triumph and tragedy of J. Robert Oppenheimer" is a "great" biography! :thumbup:

oldmen you are great.

Likes Hoophy and 1oldman2
micromass said:
And every alternative is completely ridiculous.

Why don't you tell us how you think they did it?

That is EXACTLY the point! Very good. Except that the method you like is ridiculous too. It's a great mystery.

BTW, in the video your guy threaded a rope through a channel in the top of one block to lift it. I know granite and limestone have unimaginably immense compression strength, but does it have enough tensile strength for that little sliver at the top to support a hundred tons? I notice he didn't prove it.

And regardless of how the rope was rigged, the minimum breaking strength of a 2" steel cable is about 160 tons. Safety limits are well below that, so I suspect they had something much stronger than steel cable to lift these hundreds of tons.

There's no disgrace in confessing we don't know the answer to a great mystery.

@KenJackson, I see you are avoiding my question about what flood you are talking about. You brought it up, now explain it.

KenJackson said:
And regardless of how the rope was rigged, the minimum breaking strength of a 2" steel cable is about 160 tons. Safety limits are well below that, so I suspect they had something much stronger than steel cable to lift these hundreds of tons.

Or they could use multiple ropes.

I agree there are many unexplained things of the past, but you are willfully ignoring perfectly good explanations for some reason you're not willing to divulge.

Likes Hoophy
phinds said:
@KenJackson, I see you are avoiding my question about what flood you are talking about. You brought it up, now explain it.
I avoided it because you implied it would get the thread banned. Is that your goal? Are you one who likes to provoke fights to get others kicked out?

There's unlimited evidence of a world-wide flood both on the physical Earth and in ancient literature. And I seem to recall more than one historian lamenting that history starts at 5000 BC (oops) 3000 BC. What a coincidence. But never mind. The great mystery doesn't depend on that.

Last edited:
KenJackson said:
I avoided it because you implied it would get the thread banned. Is that your goal? Are you one who likes to provoke fights to get others kicked out?

There's unlimited evidence of a world-wide flood both on the physical Earth and in ancient literature. And I seem to recall more than one historian lamenting that history starts at 5000 BC. What a coincidence. But never mind. The great mystery doesn't depend on that.

Provide some evidence then. Let's start with some geological evidence.

KenJackson said:
No, my goal is not to get you kicked out, it is to support the forums rules of providing citations for claims you make, as micromass just requested. The point is, you should not make claims you can't support. If you can support your claim, then I will have learned something new.

Likes Rubidium_71, Hoophy and 1oldman2
Hey, if you get kicked out for making claims you can't support, then that's not phind's fault, it's yours. You made the claim, so you should either defend it or retract it.

What is great? ... Life, the Universe and Everything. Even after decades, the more I study, the more amazed I am! I also like the book(s).

fresh_42 said:

In a way, my wife made something similar last night, something like
http://onlinerecipesbook.blogspot.ca/2012/12/kofaty-anda-shorba.html

which I ate with fresh roti (chapati), and with raw red chile peppers (optional). Absolutely Great!

Likes Hoophy
micromass said:
I agree there are many unexplained things of the past, ...
It doesn't sound like you're agreeing. It sounds like you're fighting for the fun of fighting.
micromass said:
...but you are willfully ignoring perfectly good explanations...
You haven't presented any explanation at all as to how those heavy blocks were delicately positioned at Sacsayhuaman, and no plausible explanation for how they got the curved shapes so exact on mating rocks.

This was another interesting video you posted. Maybe Wally can explain Stonehenge, though not everything scales as nicely as he and you assume. At one point he said the whole weight was on one rope. I wonder how many 2" steel cables or hemp ropes would be needed to support one of those massive Stonehenge blocks.

And he couldn't use his device to delicately position the blocks at Sacsayhuaman. Probably not at any wall.
micromass said:
..for some reason you're not willing to divulge.
Oh, that's it. I must have a sinister plot.

People who believe in ancient aliens watch the videos and movies and say ah, yes, yes, that's proof. And we look at them with some disgust for not analyzing what has been said. But here you are doing the same for videos like the ones you've posted.

I'm pretty sure there were no ancient aliens. A much simpler and more plausible explanation is that man at one point had much greater knowledge and advanced technology than we do today. The theory that man was an idiot cave man until we smart people were born is just arrogance.

KenJackson said:
A much simpler and more plausible explanation is that man at one point had much greater knowledge and advanced technology than we do today. The theory that man was an idiot cave man until we smart people were born is just arrogance.

Aaah, so they had advanced technology that we now do not have? So that explains why they found for example hard rocks with which they carved out other rocks, because that's totally more advanced than we have today. That's why at the query's we find such advanced technology. Really, your explanation is only plausible if you completely ignore everything else.

Sure, they must have had lasers and levitations devices, but somehow we can't find any proof of them. Maybe there were two types of workers: the workers who could cut stone with lasers, and those who had to use copper chisels.

Except for "there are building that I can't explain", you have zero proof. What's more, you wilfully ignore every other kind of evidence that there was no advanced technology.

And you ignored our requests for some evidence on a global flood.

Finding someone you can talk openly with because he understands you is great.

Likes Monsterboy, EnumaElish and fresh_42