What are your musical preferences?

• Thread starter newjerseyrunner
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Instruments
In summary, people who are good at creativity thinking seem to have difficulty developing their musical skills.

What instruments do you play

• Total voters
Science news on Phys.org
This afternoon my wife Stella has been playing her cello in the middle of the BE PHIL amateur orchestra, in an impressive performance of Brahms Symphony No. 1 conducted by Sir Simon Rattle, as part of a series of short concerts for the Philharmonie Berlin Open Day. I was able to watch it live from home in the UK via Digital Concert Hall, who made this one available for free. The orchestra is made up of about 100 players selected from about 1900 who submitted video recordings for auditions (rather her than me - I find doing video recordings about as enticing as visiting the dentist)! The concert recording (including several other items, ending with Slavonic Dances played by the Berlin Philharmonic) should be available some time soon on https://digitalconcerthall.com/en/concert/51200.

I'm a hobbyist synthesist. That is, my main instrument is the synthesiser, meant not as a poor substitute of 'keyboard' sounds nor as a preset machine, but as an instrument capable of moulding or shaping sound. I use both hardware instruments and sound synthesis software.

Since in practice the most common method of performing real-time on synthesisers is by using a traditional keyboard (often attached to the instrument itself), I also play the piano. Learning guitar, though, partly as I'm interested in using guitar MIDI controllers.

Likes DennisN
I voted "woodwinds" as I used to be clarinet player, and also have some experience playing the recorder (it's been years since I've played either instrument, btw).

I play drums, guitar, keyboard, and Trumpet, but the guitar and keyboard I mostly only know how to play by feel, and I'm too human like to play Trumpet very well (although I think its the best instrument).

I record a lot of stuff. I guess some of you might find some of it mentally stimulating. Two Years, is my favorite of the two albums, with June 9th, Falling Leaves, Always There, and Sentamental being my favorites. If you can stick with HMIC to the end, there is some unique and complex drumming there.
https://nyalles.bandcamp.com/

Last edited:
Likes pinball1970
phinds said:
Yep.
There was only ever one drummer for me and no one has ever touched him

drumming starts at 29 seconds

I think the voice is an instrument, probably should be on there.

Jarvis323 said:
I play drums, guitar, keyboard, and Trumpet, but the guitar and keyboard I mostly only know how to play by feel, and I'm too human like to play Trumpet very well (although I think its the best instrument).

I record a lot of stuff. I guess some of you might find some of it mentally stimulating. Two Years, is my favorite of the two albums, with June 9th, Falling Leaves, Always There, and Sentamental being my favorites. If you can stick with HMIC to the end, there is some unique and complex drumming there.
https://nyalles.bandcamp.com/
I love the trumpet (don't play it) Harry James was my favourite player, when he teamed up with Buddy Rich (I play drums) that was a match made in heaven.

The category "Listen to" should be included IMHO. Only my wife, cat and grandchildren and myself "listen to" my music. I take guitar lessons from a jazz/rock-n-roller although my brain is now mozzarella. Every musician I meet has the mantra "It's all good." So be it.

Thanks for reviving these threads, not unlike music revivals.

I first learned and played trumpet for several years. Brass instruments are fun and loud but require constant practice to "keep your lip (embrasure)" and, to quote Paul McCartney, "you cannot sing". Another drawback is trumpet music only uses treble scale and I wanted to use both.

I learned strings -- guitar and bass fiddle -- at my first college. Guitar is accessible with slight music training and can be tuned to play different chords. Never a virtuoso, I can still accompany singers, or growl out the verses to a few songs.

My true love was playing the giant pipe organ attached to the college chapel walls equipped with powerful but quiet electric air compressors. I felt like a cross between Johann Sebastian and Captain Nemo, pressing the stops and keys and reaching for the foot pedals. Like swimming, a large pipe organ exercises all your muscles.

Undaunted I learned pipe organ reasonably well but had little interest in playing the new electronic keyboards as they just stood there. Pipe organs rock the house, move air; you feel the vibrations through your entire body. I played organ at wealthy homes, music stores and various churches but that usually led to religious discussion. So, guitar.

[Edit: removed reference to non-celibate priest.]

Last edited:
  • Wow
Likes pinball1970
Klystron said:
Thanks for reviving these threads, not unlike music revivals.

I first learned and played trumpet for several years. Brass instruments are fun and loud but require constant practice to "keep your lip" and, to quote Paul McCartney, "you cannot sing". Another drawback is trumpet music only uses treble scale and I wanted to use both.

I learned strings -- guitar and bass fiddle -- at my first college. Guitar is accessible with slight music training and can be tuned to play different chords. Never a virtuoso, I can still accompany singers, or growl out the verses to a few songs.

My true love was playing the giant pipe organ attached to the college chapel walls equipped with powerful but quiet electric air compressors. I felt like a cross between Johann Sebastian and Captain Nemo, pressing the stops and keys and reaching for the foot pedals. Like swimming, a large pipe organ exercises all your muscles. Father Conductor never allowed me to play for congregations as I did not share his sexual orientation, was too young and small, and he needed trumpets for brass choir.

Undaunted I learned pipe organ reasonably well but had little interest in playing the new electronic keyboards as they just stood there. Pipe organs rock the house, move air; you feel the vibrations through your entire body. I played organ at wealthy homes, music stores and various churches but that usually led to religious discussion. So, guitar.
I have only played a church once from memory and the hairs stood up on the back of my neck. Toccata in Dm of course, I can play a few parts (not all the beautiful counterpoint unfortunately)
You can get great church sounds on keys, 'full ranks' on a cheap 1980s DX model sounded great.
Guitar and keys you cannot go wrong, pretty much covers everything.

Likes Klystron
Concur. No intention to disparage electronic instruments. Keyboards make fantastic actuators. Perhaps on a different thread we can compare what is actuated and how sounds are produced.

Early synthesizers -- Moog, theremins, electric organs plus wire-wound guitar pickups -- add eerie subsonics, sidebands, and jitter difficult to reproduce in straightforward integrated circuits.

Likes pinball1970
Klystron said:
Concur. No intention to disparage electronic instruments. Keyboards make fantastic actuators. Perhaps on a different thread we can compare what is actuated and how sounds are produced.

Early synthesizers -- Moog, theremins, electric organs plus wire-wound guitar pickups -- add eerie subsonics, sidebands, and jitter difficult to reproduce in straightforward integrated circuits.
Moog is fantastic, never played it. Rick Wakeman one of my heroes

Likes Klystron
Three words: Emerson, Lake and Palmer.

Likes pinball1970
Just found this thread, I guess it's an old one that got revived. I checked "guitar" because I've learned a couple simple things on classical guitar. I also checked "violin" but that's really stretching the point. I took lessons when I was a kid. I know where the notes are and the basic technique. I can read music. I actually bought one in a second-hand store with the intent of practicing. But I'm really, really terrible. One of the things that makes me reluctant to practice is how bad I sound.

My main instrument is piano and I've actually performed on that. Even did a concerto once.

Here is a question not exactly the same as the main topic:

What does the choice and expertness with a musical instrument mean in relation to studying/using/practicing any of Chemistry, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering,Physics,Computer Science? What does this mean about the persons mind or talent or natural or developed capabilities with any of these sciences or engieering?

My entire family tree is loaded with amateur musicians / professional scientists or engineers. They do seem to be connected in some way. Only a few have chosen to pursue music professionally, who didn't seem to have the parallel interest in something scientific or technical.

Good questions. Learning to read music teaches and reveals a tremendous amount even without playing an instrument.

codes, symbols, signs: musical notation carries vast amounts of information in its simplicity including tone, pitch, frequency, amplitude, duration and LBNL interval.​
simplicity: musical notation conveys massive audio signal data coded in a brief easy-to-read language-independent minimal form.​
synchronization and timing: musical scores coordinate a multitude of instruments, voices and devices simply on a sheet of paper readable by "all who recognize the score".​
frame and rate: by design musical scores are divided into frames with rate and timing information placed at the beginning of the phrase. Frame rates can vary expressed by simple rational numbers. Synchronization, timing and frames translate to video, film, electronics, radar, signal processing, data collection and many other applications.​
silence and texture: a musical score easily conveys moments of silence, an absence of signal if you please. Textures include vibrato, tremolo, piccato, piano, crescendo, etc.​
Musical notation can be read by speakers of all languages. While conventional music terms borrow from Italian, Conductor signs and signals are universal.

Nice responses to what I asked from this:
symbolipoint said:
Here is a question not exactly the same as the main topic:

What does the choice and expertness with a musical instrument mean in relation to studying/using/practicing any of Chemistry, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering,Physics,Computer Science? What does this mean about the persons mind or talent or natural or developed capabilities with any of these sciences or engieering?

(1) Maybe I should have started this question above as a separate topic.

(2) Let me modify my question somewhat:
What does the choice and expertness with a musical instrument mean, OUTSIDE OF ANY MUSICAL NOTATION, in relation to studying/using/practicing any of Chemistry, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering,Physics,Computer Science?

symbolipoint said:
Nice responses to what I asked from this:
(1) Maybe I should have started this question above as a separate topic.
(2) Let me modify my question somewhat:
What does the choice and expertness with a musical instrument mean, OUTSIDE OF ANY MUSICAL NOTATION, in relation to studying/using/practicing any of Chemistry, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering,Physics,Computer Science?
Point taken. I began a daughter thread "how music influences STEM" as suggested though without specifying a science or engineering field other than Audio. I included music notation but only specific to Maths. Would like to examine how we use audio technology & electronic engineering to create modern music and musical instruments with a brief technology review.

Would like to use data from the OP's poll, with permission. Tomorrow. Thanks.

I have played all kinds of instruments in my life:
  • Piano (when I was very young)
  • Accordion (even took some professional lessons)
  • Guitar (couldn't avoid it, was a teenager when the 60's started. Had to quit when I injured my left little finger)
  • Recorder (joined a quartet playing baroque music)
  • Synthesizer (still have a DX7II)
  • Saxophones (alto, soprano, baritone, tenor in various bands)
By the way, I am not a musician!

Likes Klystron
I have another related query: Is it just classical music that has this apparent link to science and math? My background is classical and I've always admired rock / folk musicians who seem to have an entirely different skillset. They think nothing of picking up an entire different instrument (switching effortlessly from guitar to flute to piano for instance), or changing the tuning of a guitar and still knowing where to find all the notes. They can listen to a recording and mimic it. They can improvise. They can make a piece sound like a particular style. They can transpose on the fly. I have none of those skills.

RPinPA said:
I have another related query: Is it just classical music that has this apparent link to science and math? My background is classical and I've always admired rock / folk musicians who seem to have an entirely different skillset. They think nothing of picking up an entire different instrument (switching effortlessly from guitar to flute to piano for instance), or changing the tuning of a guitar and still knowing where to find all the notes. They can listen to a recording and mimic it. They can improvise. They can make a piece sound like a particular style. They can transpose on the fly. I have none of those skills.
You have also described Jazz. The idea that jazz musicians constantly improvise remains a popular misconception. The beauty of jazz riffs belies the precision and organization inherent on the genre. Playing Blues may allow more improvisation and "jam" quality but professional jazz is as precise as any classical orchestra. Listen to recordings of jazz greats. Their timing, attack and interval is superb.

In its time Baroque was criticized as being "loose and unpredictable".

You are also correct about rock virtuosos. I have seen such pick up a sitar for the first time, figure out the drones and tuning, and reproduce large sections of a raga we had just enjoyed. A linguist / EE I worked with could pick up any wind instrument and extract wonderful music. He could play pieces of PVC pipe with or without a mouthpiece that rivalled the finest didgeridoo; an instrument he could also play expertly.

RPinPA said:
They can listen to a recording and mimic it. They can improvise. // . They can transpose on the fly. I have none of those skills.
You're kidding; right? Not much hope for classical music helping in other fields if the quoted part true.

You have MORE ability than you believe of yourself. You for some reason are missing the urge to try.

happypersontobe said:
I can play the guitar but I believe guitar is one of the easiest instruments to learn playing with
I could teach you to play drums guitar bass and piano in ten minutes if you had a just a small amount of musical talent. Easy.
It's learning to play well that is difficult.

Dr. Courtney said:
Need an option for bass guitar.
From memory you said you wife has told you that already have a lot of guitars...
My mate picked up a fender copy in cash generator (UK - you may have same in the states) for £35. Sounds beautiful, growly even without plug in.
Do you have gumtree?

pinball1970 said:
From memory you said you wife has told you that already have a lot of guitars...
My mate picked up a fender copy in cash generator (UK - you may have same in the states) for £35. Sounds beautiful, growly even without plug in.
Do you have gumtree?

She has two (acoustic Martin 6 string and Yamaha 12 string) and I have two (Ibanez SG Bass and Telecaster). The family shares a Kurzweil 88 key synthesizer. Recent comments have focused on my number of fishing poles. Haven't counted lately, but I often take 9 at a time in the boat and there are still 4-6 (at least) in the garage. I have too many hobbies to own more than two guitars. But my wife and I practice five times a week and perform in public regularly. Lots of fun.

Video Still with Bass.jpg

Likes pinball1970
Dr. Courtney said:
She has two (acoustic Martin 6 string and Yamaha 12 string) and I have two (Ibanez SG Bass and Telecaster). The family shares a Kurzweil 88 key synthesizer. Recent comments have focused on my number of fishing poles. Haven't counted lately, but I often take 9 at a time in the boat and there are still 4-6 (at least) in the garage. I have too many hobbies to own more than two guitars. But my wife and I practice five times a week and perform in public regularly. Lots of fun.

View attachment 252857
A link with sound? Is that permitted?
A Martin!? And I am recommending a glorified thrift shop! Ok you need something pretty to compliment a Tele/Martin. An actual fender jazz? Or what about one of those little Hofner cello bass like Macca played with the Beatles? I saw him 2003 and he was still playing it. He said it went out of tune a lot now but the sound was just as it was. Warm and full. I bet you have huge huge music shops in the states, you must have a favourite? Try some of these bad boys out.
I think a Ricky would be a bit too growly but they look just so iconic.
Keep me posted.

I played soprano & tenor recorder until my right index finger got friendly with a lawnmower blade. My finger got sewed back together. It mostly works, but not for playing recorder ...I was never very good to start with.

jim mcnamara said:
I played soprano & tenor recorder until my right index finger got friendly with a lawnmower blade. My finger got sewed back together. It mostly works, but not for playing recorder ...I was never very good to start with.
Not very rock and roll Jim..

pinball1970 said:
A link with sound? Is that permitted?
A Martin!? And I am recommending a glorified thrift shop! Ok you need something pretty to compliment a Tele/Martin. An actual fender jazz? Or what about one of those little Hofner cello bass like Macca played with the Beatles? I saw him 2003 and he was still playing it. He said it went out of tune a lot now but the sound was just as it was. Warm and full. I bet you have huge huge music shops in the states, you must have a favourite?

I had a Fender Jazz bass some years ago. Great bass, just not as playable in my hands as the Ibanez SG line. I'm on my third Ibanez SG. The thin neck fits my hands very well. The sound of any bass can be tailored with the effects and amp, so playability is my main criteria. I don't go to music shops often unless I have a specific need in mind. Impulse buys (like the Fender Jazz bass) get expensive. Our 4 guitars meet our needs very well for most of our music. Once in a while, I wish for a second 6 string acoustic, but we get by.

symbolipoint said:

I think that these things are rather unrelated, at least regarding the essence of the question. The first is pure art and the second is science. A person can study - or work in, a field of science and in his / her spare time or maybe more, can potentially learn some specific instrument(s) according to his / her own mentality and maybe due to particular emotional or other reasons.

Going to a more general comment regarding learning of music, talent is a somewhat oversold term in my opinion. Behind every good instrument player / musician there is a vast number of hours of listening, practicing, transcribing, composing and working on music - for music, in general, as is the case mutatis mutandis for a good scientist: a vast number of hours of studying, practicing through problems and projects and experimenting - for the sciences which have it. Particularly for music, behind "great talents" in most cases there is a family or relatives who are musicians, so, for a child who is in touch every day with music and have the right guidance, it is more than obvious that some day will become a great musician as long as he / she will devote the time and efforts to learn music. So, in my opinion and according to my experience as a bass - in past, and electric guitar player for over thirty years, the most essential is the will to learn and finding good guidance of any available form - be it good teachers, videos, books, musical staff, any combination(s) or any other related thing. Personally, I don't come from a musicians family nor do I have relatives that are musicians. What led me to learn music and the musical instruments I did, was personal interest for the music as an art i.e. as an expressive means.

Now, about musical notation, it can really be something interesting for a scientist as it is a global language that conveys components of music like timing, measures, notes etc. but this is not music: it's a very useful - I would say indispensable, means of conveying musical ideas which coordinates the communication among different instrument players but up to there. It is by no means a critical factor in order to learn playing an instrument and be really good at it or learning music - in classical music it is absolutely necessary but again communication is the reason. In contemporary genres, it is good for anyone to learn reading and writing musical staff but it is not necessary unless he / she will play in a big orchestra. Personally, I learned musical staff initially at my eight for piano - which I finally abandoned, and later I continued at my sixteen with classical guitar. I didn't like the idea of learning this way; I felt it like something habitual or even obsessive. So, I picked the way of self learning through musical books with tabs combined with audio tapes to learn electric guitar and bass. Later on, I almost abandoned tabs and relied exclusively to my ears using recordings.

Music is all about ears. Anyone willing can learn chords, scales, arpeggios, phrases, cool licks by ear. Through a lot of practicing comes the mapping onto a specific instrument. For me it is utterly wrong to force a beginner to learn where is each note on the fretboard for instance. After one hour or one day he / she will forget it. Repeating good exercises every day for warm-up, fingers flexibility and for muscle memory reasons, trying honestly to learn playing what you can't play - this is very important: not what you can, and exercising ears especially through transcribing - a real pain for a beginner but it definitely pays off in the long run, comes the good learning and the good performance. From there, experience takes the lead.

RPinPA said:
... and I've always admired rock / folk musicians who seem to have an entirely different skillset. They think nothing of picking up an entire different instrument (switching effortlessly from guitar to flute to piano for instance), or changing the tuning of a guitar and still knowing where to find all the notes. They can listen to a recording and mimic it. They can improvise. They can make a piece sound like a particular style. They can transpose on the fly. I have none of those skills.

In my opinion, if you really want to learn something you can as long as you're absolutely willing to devote the time and efforts to learn it. It takes a lot of years but if you persist , you'll finally approach your goal - "disappointment due to no progress" as is commonly spoken or perceived and in many cases is just a wrong feeling, is something that every good musician has experienced /experiences from time to time during learning. As a great greek electric guitar player and teacher says "you'll going to make it whichever way you pick as long as you walk this way exerting honest efforts".

Likes symbolipoint
QuantumQuest said:
Now, about musical notation, it can really be something interesting for a scientist as it is a global language that conveys components of music like timing, measures, notes etc. but this is not music: it's a very useful - I would say indispensable, means of conveying musical ideas which coordinates the communication among different instrument players but up to there. It is by no means a critical factor in order to learn playing an instrument and be really good at it or learning music - in classical music it is absolutely necessary but again communication is the reason. In contemporary genres, it is good for anyone to learn reading and writing musical staff but it is not necessary unless he / she will play in a big orchestra. Personally, I learned musical staff initially at my eight for piano - which I finally abandoned, and later I continued at my sixteen with classical guitar. I didn't like the idea of learning this way; I felt it like something habitual or even obsessive. So, I picked the way of self learning through musical books with tabs combined with audio tapes to learn electric guitar and bass. Later on, I almost abandoned tabs and relied exclusively to my ears using recordings.

and some of...

Music is all about ears. Anyone w..., ...

Saying that well is difficult. I have the same understanding about the difference between playing instrument and reading/writing of music in notation.

Likes QuantumQuest
QuantumQuest said:
Going to a more general comment regarding learning of music, talent is a somewhat oversold term in my opinion.

I disagree with this, it is difficult to quantify biologically but what makes a good musician and great one comes down to talent like everything else.
You cannot learn to play football like George best, you have to be George best. One can practice get better get fitter learn things but one cannot "learn" to play like that.
You cannot learn how to sing like Ian Gillan or play Drums like Buddy Rich, it is who they are/were.
We have had similar discussions about talent regarding mathematics, can anyone get a PhD/published in Mathematics? answer? No.
You could take someone with some ability as a kid (me say) and then tutor them nurture them, sure they may do ok (A level is far as I went) but it was quite obvious there were one or two students who just "saw" it before me, got it before me. Had more elegant methods, missed out steps with one foul swoop and arrived at the answer.
Talented musicians hear things others don't pick out harmonies without knowing the implications of certain notes or chords.

A great example of is Macca, I don't think he analysed things too much as George Martin said he had an "instinctive" feel for harmony.
Ill be back - A song by John, a little sad and lonely typical reflective Lennon. However what makes it great is PM harmony over the top taking you from major to minor and back. Ill stick my neck out and say he did not intend to mark the major to minor he just sang it. You cannot learn that. Listen from 1.50 in the link. I love these guys, the break down Beatles harmonies and its an extra touch that they have these Italian accents underneath everything.