What Interactions Remove Energy from a Photon Beam in an Iron Absorber?

• Thread starter amrian
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Photons
In summary, the task involves a collimated monochromatic beam of photons with intensity 10^20/s and energy 10 MeV directed at an iron absorber with a thickness of 3 cm. The expected interactions are photoelectric, compton, and pair production, and the amount of energy removed by each interaction can be calculated by multiplying the number of interactions by the energy of each photon. The cross-sections for the interactions will determine the probability of each interaction occurring.
amrian

Homework Statement

I have this task:
A collimated monochromatic beam of photons with intensity 10^20/s and energy
10 MeV is directed to a iron absorber with thickness 3 cm. What kind of interactions are expected? Suppose, each interaction removes one particle from the beam. I need to know, what amount of energy does each type of interaction remove from the beam?

Homework Equations

N=N0(1-e^(-Δx μ))
equations of cross sections

The Attempt at a Solution

I think, that here may be expected photoelectric, compton, pair production interactions. To get amount of energy removed by each interaction I need to know number of interactions and then multiply it by the energy, but I also need to know number of photons to get the number of interactions, or I am very wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
10MeV photons beam usually means each photon has 10MeV energy (gamma rays)
https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/mragheb/www/NPRE%20402%20ME%20405%20Nuclear%20Power%20Engineering/Gamma%20Rays%20Interactions%20with%20Matter.pdf
The main interactions will be photoelectric-effect, compton scattering, and pair production.

This means that 1021MeV/s is arriving at the Fe target (10^20 photons per second arriving multiplied by 10MeV per photon).
1MeV is 1.6022x10-13J so this rate is something like 160MW.

Each photon removed from the beam thus transfers 10MeV to the target.

You need to know the cross-sections for the interactions - these will give you the probability of the interaction for one photon, so multiply this by the photon flux to get the number of photons involved in the interaction (per second).

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to What Interactions Remove Energy from a Photon Beam in an Iron Absorber?

1. How do you measure the number of photons?

The number of photons can be measured using a device called a photometer. This device measures the intensity of light and can calculate the number of photons based on the energy of the light and the wavelength.

2. Can the number of photons be calculated using the energy of the light source?

Yes, the number of photons can be calculated using the energy of the light source. The formula is N = E/hν, where N is the number of photons, E is the energy of the light source, h is Planck's constant, and ν is the frequency of the light.

3. Is the number of photons constant for all types of light?

No, the number of photons can vary depending on the type of light. Different wavelengths and intensities of light will have different numbers of photons. This is why a photometer is needed to measure the exact number of photons for a specific light source.

4. How does the number of photons affect the intensity of light?

The number of photons is directly proportional to the intensity of light. This means that the more photons there are, the higher the intensity of the light will be. This relationship is described by the formula I = Nhf, where I is the intensity of light, N is the number of photons, h is Planck's constant, and f is the frequency of the light.

5. Can the number of photons be changed by altering the intensity of light?

Yes, the number of photons can be changed by altering the intensity of light. Increasing the intensity of light will result in a higher number of photons, while decreasing the intensity will result in a lower number of photons. However, the energy of each individual photon will remain the same.