What is a photon in terms of EM waves?

In summary, a photon is the smallest possible excitation of the quantized electromagnetic field and cannot be fully explained in terms of classical EM waves. However, classical EM waves can be described in terms of photons through quantum electrodynamics.
k9b4
Is it one wavelength of EM wave? I have googled for this and I can't find an explanation for what a photon is in terms of EM waves.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a complicated issue. The photon is the smallest possible excitation of the quantized electromagnetic field. It really does not make much sense to think of it as a classical EM wave, because it is not. Classical EM fields are better described by coherent quantum states.

k9b4 said:
Is it one wavelength of EM wave? I have googled for this and I can't find an explanation for what a photon is in terms of EM waves.
It is most definitely not one wavelength of an EM wave.

Quantum electrodynamics (the theory of photons) is a more general theory than classical electrodynamics (the theory of EM waves). Thus, you can explain what classical EM waves are in terms of photons, but not the other way around.

There simply is no classical EM analog of a photon, but there is a quantum analog of a classical EM wave, the coherent state that Orodruin mentioned.

1. What is a photon?

A photon is a fundamental particle of light that carries energy and momentum. It is the smallest unit of electromagnetic (EM) radiation and has properties of both a wave and a particle.

2. How is a photon related to EM waves?

A photon is the building block of EM waves. EM waves are created when photons interact with each other and travel through space as a wave. This wave-like behavior of photons is described by their frequency and wavelength.

3. What is the relationship between photon energy and EM waves?

The energy of a photon is directly proportional to the frequency of the EM wave it represents. This means that higher frequency EM waves, such as gamma rays, have photons with higher energy, while lower frequency EM waves, such as radio waves, have photons with lower energy.

4. Can photons be detected?

Yes, photons can be detected using various instruments such as cameras, photomultiplier tubes, and photodiodes. These devices are designed to convert the energy of photons into an electrical signal that can be measured.

5. How does the behavior of photons explain the properties of light?

The wave-particle duality of photons explains the properties of light, such as its ability to travel through a vacuum, its speed, and its ability to be diffracted and interfere with itself. The particle-like behavior of photons also explains how light can transfer energy and momentum, causing phenomena such as the photoelectric effect.