What is a Quinary Vector and How is it Related to Matrices?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Sudharaka
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the Quinary vector appears to be a matrix with all possible combinations of 0-4. It has $5^3=125$ rows.
Sudharaka
Gold Member
MHB
Hi everyone, :)

Reading a research article, I came across something called a Quinary Vector. I found no explanation or definition of what this means in the article or in the web. The article has the following as a Quinary vector, and it seems like a particular kind of matrix.

$$\begin{pmatrix}0&0&0\\0&0&1\\&.&\\&.&\\&.&\\&.&\\4&4&4\end{pmatrix}$$​

So I would like to see a precise definition of what a Quinary vector means. Has anybody come across this vector before?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sudharaka said:
Hi everyone, :)

Reading a research article, I came across something called a Quinary Vector. I found no explanation or definition of what this means in the article or in the web. The article has the following as a Quinary vector, and it seems like a particular kind of matrix.

$$\begin{pmatrix}0&0&0\\0&0&1\\&.&\\&.&\\&.&\\&.&\\4&4&4\end{pmatrix}$$​

So I would like to see a precise definition of what a Quinary vector means. Has anybody come across this vector before?

Hey Sudharaka!

From wikipedia:
Quinary (base-5) is a numeral system with five as the base.

It seems to me a matrix with all possible combinations of 0-4.
It would probably have $5^3=125$ rows. Or perhaps those rows are meant to represent base-5 numbers.
It's possible that when multiplying it, the numbers might be counted in base 5.
I don't know why they call it a "vector". Perhaps that becomes clear from the context?

I like Serena said:
Hey Sudharaka!

From wikipedia:
Quinary (base-5) is a numeral system with five as the base.

It seems to me a matrix with all possible combinations of 0-4.
It would probably have $5^3=125$ rows. Or perhaps those rows are meant to represent base-5 numbers.
It's possible that when multiplying it, the numbers might be counted in base 5.
I don't know why they call it a "vector". Perhaps that becomes clear from the context?

Thank you for the reply. :)

Yeah, I think this is the most probable thing that the writer meant. Here is the article which I found this (page 59).

http://www.mecs-press.org/ijcnis/ijcnis-v4-n5/IJCNIS-V4-N5-7.pdf

I don't think that the numbers are counted in base 5 when multiplying. He forms a collection of series which he calls basins by multiplying this vector with a circulant matrix. I don't quite understand how the basins are formed though. :p

I cannot understand how the basins are formed either! Has anybody figured that?

Olga said:
I cannot understand how the basins are formed either! Has anybody figured that?
Did you mean 'basis'?

caffeinemachine said:
Did you mean 'basis'?
No, I indeed mean “basins”. They are discussed on page 59. There is a link to it in the thread.

Olga said:
No, I indeed mean “basins”. They are discussed on page 59. There is a link to it in the thread.
Oh I see. Sorry for the confusion.

Related to What is a Quinary Vector and How is it Related to Matrices?

1. What is a Quinary Vector?

A Quinary Vector is a mathematical term used in linear algebra and computer science. It refers to a vector with five elements or components, representing a point or direction in a five-dimensional space.

2. How is a Quinary Vector represented?

A Quinary Vector can be represented in multiple ways, including as a row vector or column vector. In a row vector, the elements are listed horizontally, while in a column vector, the elements are listed vertically. Both representations are commonly used in linear algebra and computer science.

3. What are some real-life applications of Quinary Vectors?

Quinary Vectors are used in various fields, including data analysis, signal processing, and computer graphics. They are also used in artificial intelligence and machine learning algorithms, such as neural networks, to represent complex data points.

4. How do Quinary Vectors differ from other types of vectors?

Quinary Vectors differ from other vectors in terms of their number of elements or dimensions. They have five elements, while other vectors can have any number of elements. This difference also affects the way Quinary Vectors are manipulated and used in various applications.

5. Can a Quinary Vector be visualized?

Yes, a Quinary Vector can be visualized, but it may be challenging to do so since it exists in a five-dimensional space. Some computer programs and software, such as 3D modeling and data visualization tools, can help visualize Quinary Vectors and their properties.