What is a 'sphaleron' in basic terms?

• Thread starter Anchovy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Terms
In summary, the conversation is about trying to understand what a sphaleron is in the context of baryon number asymmetry in the early universe. The speaker has found a paragraph that explains that vacua with different topological charges can be separated by an energy barrier given by the sphaleron energy. However, they are still confused about how this relates to baryon changing into something else and which gauge fields are involved. The speaker suggests picturing different vacua as points on a potential graph and references Weinberg's QFT book for further understanding.
Anchovy
I'm trying to build a vague understanding of what a sphaleron is (for context: I'm reading about baryon number asymmetry in the early universe and the word keeps cropping up). I've found a paragraph that seems to get me half way there but still leaves me feeling a bit :oldconfused: :

sphaleron.png

So first of all, what is meant by "vacua which have different topological charges"?
1) When it refers to 'different vacua', should I be picturing something like the circle around the base of the 'Mexican hat' potential often seen in discussions about the Higgs mechanism?
2) What does 'topological charge' refer to?

Anyway, it says there are vacua separated by an energy barrier "given by the spaleron energy (a saddle point of the energy of gauge and Higgs fields)".
--> This is the part that I'm most confused about. I know what a saddle point is... but I'm struggling to get from here to understanding how this means a baryon changes into something else. And which gauge fields is it referring to?

Likes DuckAmuck
Physics news on Phys.org
1. I would picture different vacua depending on the context... all in all it means that you can have 2 or more, equivalent or not, points where the potential makes a cup... This picture however has not helped me in understanding QCD vacua.
2. topological charge, well looking at the definition I found by searching: [itex] k \sim \int \tilde{F}^{\mu \nu a} F_{\mu \nu}^a d^4 x[/itex].. well these kind of constructs again appear quiet often in instantons etc... (eg such a term looks like the variation of the action due to some chiral anomaly in QCD again). I would recommend going through the Weinberg's QFT Vol2 Ch 23.1, 23.2, 23.4
It's pretty much math-like [as any topological thing]

1. What is a 'sphaleron'?

A 'sphaleron' is a type of particle that exists in theoretical physics. It is a type of energy configuration that can occur in certain physical systems, and it is characterized by its instability.

2. How is a sphaleron different from other particles?

A sphaleron is different from other particles in that it is not a stable particle that can exist in isolation. Instead, it is a type of energy configuration that can occur in certain systems, and it is often associated with the breaking of symmetries in these systems.

3. What are the properties of a sphaleron?

Sphalerons have a specific energy and quantum number, and they are characterized by their instability. They also play an important role in certain physical processes, such as baryon number violation and electroweak symmetry breaking.

4. How was the sphaleron first discovered?

The concept of the sphaleron was first proposed by physicist Sidney Coleman in the 1970s, as a solution to certain equations in theoretical physics. It was later further developed by other physicists, including Alexander Polyakov and Gerard 't Hooft.

5. What is the significance of the sphaleron in physics?

The sphaleron is significant in physics because it helps us understand certain processes, such as the origin of matter in the universe and the breaking of symmetries in physical systems. It also has implications for particle physics and the search for a unified theory of all fundamental forces.