What is Absolute Time and Space?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of absolute time and space in physics, which are hypothetical concepts closely tied to the thought of Newton. It explains the difference between absolute and relative time and motion, and how these notions imply that absolute space and time do not depend on physical events. The conversation also addresses the idea of undetectable absolute space and time in relation to Newtonian mechanics.
Rishabh Narula
TL;DR Summary
i understand english fairly well but this paragraph goes right over my head.i can't associate it or understand what exactly the author is trying to say can someone explain it in layman simple language.i do realize its got something to do with relativity but im just a beginner student as of now so please explain simply.thanka
In physics, the concept of absolute time and absolute space are hypothetical concepts closely tied to the thought of Newton. Absolute, true and mathematical time of itself, and from its own nature flows equally without regard to anything external. There is another term duration measures relative, apparent and common time, is same sensible and external measure of duration by means of motion which is commonly used instead of true time. Using this defination, time runs at the same rate for all observers in the universe and different measures of absolute time can be scaled by multiplying by a constant. Thus, according to Newton, ‘Absolute space, in its own nature, without regard to anything, external, remains always similar and imovable’. Relative space is some movable dimension or measure of the absolute spaces; which our senses determine by its position to bodies. Absolute motion is the translation of a body from one absolute place into another, and relative motion, the translation from one relative place into another. These notions imply that absolute space and time do not depend upon physical events, but are a backdrop or stage setting within which physical phenomenon occurs. Thus, every object has an absolute state of motion relative to absolute space, so that an object must be either in a state of absolute rest or moving at some absolute speed.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not convinced it means anything at all. Where are you quoting from?

Likes Vanadium 50 and vanhees71
Most of the paragraph is a translation of part of a scholium from Newton’s Principia. This scholium explains the philosophic reasons Newton insisted on absolute time and space even though demonstrating that they are in principle undetectable.

Likes vanhees71, Ibix, 256bits and 1 other person
Rishabh Narula said:
Summary:: .i do realize its got something to do with relativity but ...
Not anything to do with Special Relativity, nor General Relativity, if that is what you mean.
This is only about Newtonian mechanics, with its consideration of absolute time and absolute space.

PAllen said:
Most of the paragraph is a translation of part of a scholium from Newton’s Principia. This scholium explains the philosophic reasons Newton insisted on absolute time and space even though demonstrating that they are in principle undetectable.
Full text of Newton is here. The text in the OP seems to me to have taken a few sentences from Newton's valiant defence of absolute space against the force of his own arguments, pasted them together with some original text, and created a mess. I suspect it's attempting to set up a similar defence of undetectable absolute space and time in relativity.

Rishabh Narula said:
i do realize its got something to do with relativity

No, it doesn't. It is, as others have already pointed out, from Newton's Principia.

Thread closed.

1. What is the concept of absolute time and space?

Absolute time and space is a philosophical and scientific concept that refers to the idea that time and space exist independently of human perception and experience. This means that they are not influenced by factors such as motion, gravity, or other physical forces.

2. How is absolute time and space different from relative time and space?

Relative time and space, on the other hand, is based on the idea that time and space are relative to the observer and can be influenced by factors such as motion and gravity. This means that the perception of time and space can vary for different observers.

3. Is absolute time and space a proven concept?

The concept of absolute time and space is a philosophical and theoretical concept that has been debated and discussed by scientists and philosophers for centuries. While there is evidence to support the idea, it is not a proven concept and is still a subject of ongoing research and debate.

4. How does the theory of relativity relate to absolute time and space?

The theory of relativity, developed by Albert Einstein, suggests that time and space are interconnected and can be affected by the presence of matter and energy. This theory challenges the concept of absolute time and space and suggests that it may not be as absolute as previously thought.

5. Can we ever truly understand absolute time and space?

As humans, our understanding of time and space is limited by our perception and experience. While we can continue to study and theorize about absolute time and space, it is uncertain if we will ever be able to fully comprehend its true nature.