What is after QM Core and before QFT?

I have completed Quantum Core courses as well as GR and it seems there is something I am missing before taking QFT/QED courses. Is there another subject between?

If you've taken an undergraduate level QM class, it probably didn't go into as much detail as a graduate level class, so you might want to consider that. But in general, you're all ready to jump into the QFT pool. It will seem like there's stuff you're missing, but that's just because QFT is rather confusing until you understand why you're doing all that...

dextercioby

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
I have completed Quantum Core courses as well as GR and it seems there is something I am missing before taking QFT/QED courses. Is there another subject between?
I don't know what you mean by quantum core, but there are particular chapters (scattering theory is an example) in a what Americans call <graduate> course on QM which are mandatory prerequisites before jumping into quantum field theory, the latter being defined as the formal gathering of facts giving you a description of the Standard Model of Fundamental Particles & Interactions.

General Relativity is not a prerequisite of QFT, only a necessary completion of the classical field theory courses.

Last edited:
I found a QFT course that picked up right about where I needed to be. I think the problem was that courses labeled QED were a bit further ahead than I was ready for.

dextercioby

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
I found a QFT course that picked up right about where I needed to be. I think the problem was that courses labeled QED were a bit further ahead than I was ready for.
I don't understand. How could you have had QFT and QED separately and with different levels of difficulty ?

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving

Hot Threads