Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is an inclusion map? (manifolds)

1. Mar 21, 2015 #1
    In my book its says let i: U →M (but with a curved arrow) and calls it an inclusion map. What exactly is an inclusion map? Doesn't the curve arrow mean its 1-1? So are inclusion maps always 1-1?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2015 #2

lavinia

Science Advisor

yes

4. Mar 23, 2015 #3

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The map ##I:X\to X## defined by ##I(x)=x## for all ##x\in X## is called the identity map on ##X##. If X is a subset of Y, then the map ##J:X\to Y## defined by ##J(x)=x## for all ##x\in X## is called the inclusion map from ##X## to ##Y##. If X=Y, the identity map and the inclusion map are the same. If you're using a definition of "map" such that the codomain isn't one of the things that identify the map, then the identity map and the inclusion map are the same, even when X is a proper subset of Y.

5. Mar 25, 2015 #4
    The curved arrow is usually reserved for inclusions. In general, if you have a differentiable manifold ##M## and a subset ##N \subseteq M## that is also a differentiable manifold then the inclusion map
    $$\iota \colon N \to M \colon p \to p$$
    is open (trivially, with respect to the subspace topology on the image), injective and an immersion (i.e. the differential ##\iota_*## has trivial kernel at every point). The tuple ##(N, \iota)## is an embedded submanifold of ##M## and one can always think of embedded submanifolds as being given by subsets by looking at the image and the inclusion map.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  6. Mar 25, 2015 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Why would it be open?

7. Mar 25, 2015 #6
    It is open with respect to the subspace topology on the image, which just happens to be the topology on the set itself by definition. So actually the map
    $$\iota \colon N \to M$$
    is only open if ##\dim M = \dim N##.

8. Mar 25, 2015 #7

lavinia

Science Advisor

A subset of a set can be viewed as a set in itself. The inclusion map takes its points as a set and maps them to the corresponding points in the subset.

For instance the inclusion of {a} into {a,b} maps {a} to the subset {a} ⊂ {a,b}.

The idea of inclusion applies to sets and subsets. It is completely general and is not restricted to manifolds or topological spaces.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook