What Is b^2-4ac? Quadratic Formula Explained

• Thread starter askor
  • Start date
In summary, the discriminant, represented by ##b^2 - 4ac## in the quadratic formula, is a value that helps determine the nature of the solutions of a quadratic equation. It can be found in any algebra textbook and is also used in the process of completing the square to solve quadratic equations.
askor
As we know that ##x_{1,2}## of a quadratic function can be found with the below formula:

##\frac{-b ± \sqrt{b^2 - 4ac}}{2a}##

What do you call the ##b^2 - 4ac##?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It's the discriminant, if I spelled that right.
Its value let's you know if you have complex or real solutions.

462chevelle said:
It's the discriminant, if I spelled that right.
Yes, you spelled it correctly.
462chevelle said:
Its value let's you know if you have complex or real solutions.
It discriminates between two real solutions, one real and repeated solution, and two complex solutions, depending on whether the discriminant is positive, zero, or negative, respectively.

I wasn't able to find about discriminant in my Calculus textbook.

What book I can found about this discriminant?

I would look in an algebra book

askor said:
I wasn't able to find about discriminant in my Calculus textbook.

What book I can found about this discriminant?
You should be able to find this in any algebra book. Look under quadratic equations.

Mondayman said:
You should be able to find this in any algebra book. Look under quadratic equations.
Yes, that is right. Any intermediate or college algebra textbook will discuss the discriminant of a quadratic equation or of a quadratic expression.

The discriminant occurs when you use Completing the Square to generally solve a quadratic equation; as well as if you use Completing the Square to solve a particular quadratic equation.

symbolipoint said:
The discriminant occurs when you use Completing the Square to generally solve a quadratic equation; as well as if you use Completing the Square to solve a particular quadratic equation.
The discriminant shows up in the Quadratic Formula, which is derived by completing the square. If you solve a quadratic equation by completing the square, you won't see the discriminant.

For example, solve ##x^2 - 4x - 1 = 0##
1. By Quadratic Formula
##\Rightarrow x = \frac{4 \pm \sqrt{4^2 - (4\cdot 1 \cdot (-1)}}{2} = \frac{4 \pm \sqrt{20}}{2} = 2 \pm \sqrt{5}##
Here the discriminant is ##b^2 - 4ac## = 16 - (-4) = 20

2. By completing the square
##x^2 - 4x - 1 = 0##
##\Rightarrow x^2 - 4x + 4 = 1 + 4##
##\Rightarrow (x - 2)^2 = 5##
##\Rightarrow x - 2 = \pm \sqrt{5}##
##\Rightarrow x = 2 \pm \sqrt{5}##

Notice that the discriminant (20) never explicitly appears in completing the square.

Likes Michael2525 and Vedward
Mark44 shows the ordinary algebra step behavior, that we usually simplify from one step to the next, and we do not then see the uncomputed expression for the discriminant. If we WANTED to, we could leave that part uncomputed, and finish its computation last.

1. What is the purpose of the quadratic formula?

The quadratic formula is used to find the solutions or roots of a quadratic equation, which is an equation in the form of ax2 + bx + c = 0. It is particularly useful when the roots cannot be easily determined through factoring or other methods.

2. How is the quadratic formula derived?

The quadratic formula is derived by completing the square on the general form of a quadratic equation, ax2 + bx + c = 0. This involves adding and subtracting a value to both sides of the equation to create a perfect square trinomial, which can then be solved using the square root property.

3. What do the variables in the quadratic formula represent?

The variables in the quadratic formula have specific meanings: a is the coefficient of the squared term, b is the coefficient of the linear term, and c is the constant term. When substituted into the formula, these values represent the coefficients of the original quadratic equation.

4. Can the quadratic formula be used for all quadratic equations?

Yes, the quadratic formula can be used for all quadratic equations, regardless of the values of a, b, and c. However, if the value of a is 0, the equation becomes linear and the formula is not necessary.

5. Is the quadratic formula the only way to solve a quadratic equation?

No, the quadratic formula is not the only way to solve a quadratic equation. Other methods include factoring, completing the square, and graphing. However, the quadratic formula is often the most efficient and reliable method for finding the roots of a quadratic equation.