DaleSpam said:
To remove the effort vs work confusion,...
I have a unique chance here to understand the
concept of "work": its utility/necessity escapes me.
Effort is of course a lay substitute for
energy, so let's talk about "energy spent" vs. "work".
What is the purpose, utility of introducing this distinction?
if I push a 1-Kg ball and spend 1/2J it moves at 1m/s, I have done 1/2J of work , right?
if the ball is at 1 cm from a wall it stops after a fraction of a second, but I still did work
if the ball is at 1 mm or a micron from a wall, have I done work? where do you draw the line? can you draw a line at all? It becomes a sort of philosophical issue:
in a
cradle the first ball does no work on the second but does work on the last? If it is so, work can travel , like energy, through matter? [edit: what if there is 1mm distance (or less/more) between each ball? can all energy be tranferred in a tiny distance?]
if the ball hits the wall, 1/2J of energy is tranferred to the wall but it has done no work;
if it makes a tiny dimple it has done work, what if the dimple is invisible?
Thanks again!
Edit: added in red the omitted figure, sorry for the mistake