Distance: Exploring Physics, Space & Time

• I
  • Thread starter BobTheFrog
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of distance and its relationship with space time. The speaker has a basic understanding of time and distance dilation but is struggling to understand what distance is and if they are asking the right question. They have found a blog post by Stephen Wolfram but are unsure if it is on the right track. The conversation also briefly touches on Einstein's definition of time and distance and the relativity of simultaneity. The conversation ends with a reminder that new theories must be published in a peer-reviewed journal before being discussed on the Physics Forums.
BobTheFrog
I have taken physics to Modern so I understand the basics of time and distance dialation. I don't understand what is distance is. It is always given by reference to something else, or tied together like in space time. The closest I've gotten to something I can understand, and answers my question partially is http://blog.stephenwolfram.com/2015/12/what-is-spacetime-really/
Is the blog on the right path? Am I even asking the right question regarding distance? Most of what I've found looks at space time and it's behavior.

Physics news on Phys.org
That Wolfram piece is interesting but far too speculative to discuss seriously here (and please note the Physics Forums rule that requires that new theories have been published in a an appropriate peer-reviewed journal before discussion here).

Einstein once said that "Time is what a clock measures", and a similar definition works for distance: Distance is the physical quantity that a meter stick measures.

BobTheFrog said:
I understand the basics of time and distance dilation.
And also relativity of simultaneity? Just checking, as not mentioning it is like leaving off one of the legs of a three-legged stool.

This thread is closed, although threads with more specific questions about how the science works here will be welcome, And as always, if you believe that there is something to add to the discussion here, please PM any mentor so that we can reopen it for your contribution.

1. What is distance and how is it related to physics?

Distance is a measure of the physical space between two objects or points. In physics, it is an important concept in understanding the motion of objects and the laws that govern their movement. Distance is often used in calculations involving speed, velocity, and acceleration.

2. How is distance measured in physics?

In physics, distance is typically measured in units such as meters, kilometers, or miles. These units are based on the International System of Units (SI) and are used to quantify the length of an object's path.

3. What is the relationship between distance and time?

Distance and time are closely related in physics. The speed of an object can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance. This relationship is described by the equation: speed = distance/time.

4. How does the concept of distance apply to space exploration?

In space exploration, distance plays a crucial role in determining the trajectory and travel time of spacecraft. The vast distances between planets and other celestial objects require careful planning and precise calculations to ensure successful missions.

5. How does the theory of relativity explain the concept of distance?

According to the theory of relativity, distance is not absolute and can change depending on the relative motion of an observer. This is known as the concept of "relativistic distance." The theory also states that the speed of light is the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion.