1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is fictitious force?

1. May 20, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] What is fictitious force?

I was wondering if someone would be able to explain to me what is meant by fictitious force? I know that it is a force that acts on masses in a non-inertial frame of reference. That is to say, the motion of the car from the view of the driver, for example. But what makes it "fictitious"?

Thanks. :)
  2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

"Real" forces have actors, something that exerts the force; "fictitious" forces do not. Take an example of a car racing around a circular track. There is a real centripetal force acting on the car: The road exerts a frictional force on the car. The road is the actor.

Fictitious forces are just artifacts of viewing things from a non-inertial reference frame, required to make use of Newton's laws. Viewed from the frame of the car, there's a centrifugal force acting outwards. Don't bother asking what exerts that force, since it's not a real force.

Does that help a bit?
  4. May 20, 2008 #3
    I think so...

So its fictitious because the force is not placed directly on the object, but is in a manner of speaking a by-product (in your example, of the centripetal force acting on the car)?
    Last edited: May 20, 2008
  5. May 20, 2008 #4
    Yup, that sounds about right. I think Pseudo-forces (that is how I heard them to be called most often) as accounting for the acceleration. What I mean by this is that acceleration happens when you don't have balanced forces, so to pretend that you have no acceleration when you are in the non-inertial frame, you have to add this fictional pseudo-force to cancel the acceleration.
  6. May 20, 2008 #5
    Ah! I understand! Thank you both for your help! :D
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?