Fictitious Force: What Makes It Fictitious?

In summary, fictitious forces are forces that act on masses in a non-inertial frame of reference. They are needed in order to use Newton's laws, and are just an artifact of viewing the situation from a different perspective.
BitXBit
[SOLVED] What is fictitious force?

Hi.

I was wondering if someone would be able to explain to me what is meant by fictitious force? I know that it is a force that acts on masses in a non-inertial frame of reference. That is to say, the motion of the car from the view of the driver, for example. But what makes it "fictitious"?

Thanks. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
"Real" forces have actors, something that exerts the force; "fictitious" forces do not. Take an example of a car racing around a circular track. There is a real centripetal force acting on the car: The road exerts a frictional force on the car. The road is the actor.

Fictitious forces are just artifacts of viewing things from a non-inertial reference frame, required to make use of Newton's laws. Viewed from the frame of the car, there's a centrifugal force acting outwards. Don't bother asking what exerts that force, since it's not a real force.

Does that help a bit?

I think so...

So its fictitious because the force is not placed directly on the object, but is in a manner of speaking a by-product (in your example, of the centripetal force acting on the car)?

Last edited:
BitXBit said:
So its fictitious because the force is not placed directly on the object, but is in a manner of speaking a by-product (in your example, of the centripetal force acting on the car)?

Yup, that sounds about right. I think Pseudo-forces (that is how I heard them to be called most often) as accounting for the acceleration. What I mean by this is that acceleration happens when you don't have balanced forces, so to pretend that you have no acceleration when you are in the non-inertial frame, you have to add this fictional pseudo-force to cancel the acceleration.

Ah! I understand! Thank you both for your help! :D

FAQ: Fictitious Force: What Makes It Fictitious?

What is fictitious force?

Fictitious force, also known as inertial force, is a perceived force that appears to act on an object in a non-inertial frame of reference. It is not a real force, but rather an apparent force that arises from the acceleration of the frame of reference.

How is fictitious force different from real force?

Fictitious force is different from real force in that it is not caused by an interaction between two objects, but rather by the acceleration of a non-inertial frame of reference. Real forces, on the other hand, are caused by interactions between objects.

What are some examples of fictitious force?

The most common example of fictitious force is the centrifugal force experienced by objects in a rotating reference frame. Other examples include the Coriolis force, which appears to act on moving objects in a rotating reference frame, and the centrifugal force experienced by objects on a rotating merry-go-round.

Why is it important to understand fictitious force?

Understanding fictitious force is important in order to accurately describe and predict the motion of objects in non-inertial frames of reference. It also helps to explain physical phenomena, such as the rotation of the Earth and the motion of objects in space.

How is fictitious force related to Newton's laws of motion?

Fictitious force is not explicitly mentioned in Newton's laws of motion, but it can be explained and understood using these laws. In particular, it relates to the first law of motion, which states that an object will remain at rest or in uniform motion in a straight line unless acted upon by an external force. In a non-inertial frame of reference, fictitious forces act as if they are external forces, causing objects to accelerate and deviate from uniform motion in a straight line.