What is it that makes this problem different?

• Thread starter Sefrez
  • Start date
In summary, the normal force is greater than the m*g*cos theta because the centripetal force also has some force in the normal direction.
Sefrez
Normally when finding the normal force on an object on a incline, I find the magnitudes of gravity in the perpendicular and parallel directions to the incline and have that multiplied by mass. Here is a diagram of that:
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/38f87

Which means that the magnitude of n is m*g*cos theta.

On another kind of problem were I am asked to find the speed that a mass can move around a circle of an inclined plane, the normal force is different:
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/edfa7

In this case n = m*g / cos theta.

Why is this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sefrez said:
Normally when finding the normal force on an object on a incline, I find the magnitudes of gravity in the perpendicular and parallel directions to the incline and have that multiplied by mass. Here is a diagram of that:
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/38f87

Which means that the magnitude of n is m*g*cos theta.
What allows you to deduce this is the fact that the acceleration normal to the surface is zero.
On another kind of problem were I am asked to find the speed that a mass can move around a circle of an inclined plane, the normal force is different:
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/edfa7

In this case n = m*g / cos theta.

Why is this?
Here the acceleration normal to the surface is not zero. But since the acceleration is horizontal, you can say that the vertical component of the acceleration is zero.

Oh, I think I understand what you are saying. So the normal force is greater than m*g*cos theta because the centripetal force also has some force in the normal direction? In other words, it is the sum of these two?

N = m*[(v^2/r)*sin theta + g*cos theta]

Sefrez said:
Oh, I think I understand what you are saying. So the normal force is greater than m*g*cos theta because the centripetal force also has some force in the normal direction? In other words, it is the sum of these two?

N = m*[(v^2/r)*sin theta + g*cos theta]
It's better to think that the acceleration has a component in the normal direction and just apply Newton's 2nd law in that direction:
ƩF = ma
N - mg*cosθ = m(v^2/r)*sinθ

Which is entirely equivalent to what you wrote. It's best not to think of 'centripetal force' as a separate force. Here, the 'centripetal force' is provided by a component of the normal force.

Even simpler is to look at the vertical direction:
ƩF = ma = 0
N*cosθ - mg = 0
Thus: N = mg/cosθ

I see what you mean. The last that you mentioned is how I originally saw it. I guess its simplicity is what cough me off guard. I always over complicate things. For some reason it just seems easier, if that makes any sense.

Thanks.

Weird, one of the students I tutor asked me this same question the other day. We were looking at a centripetal acceleration problem, and he proceeded to write N=mg·cosθ because he was used to always seeing it that way.

Redbelly98 said:
Weird, one of the students I tutor asked me this same question the other day. We were looking at a centripetal acceleration problem, and he proceeded to write N=mg·cosθ because he was used to always seeing it that way.

Yep. It's these books (or at least mine). It lacks a lot of intuition and goes straight to the math. I have now gotten to the point that I blearily look at the math examples. I just read the material for the concepts and figure out the math that is intuitive to me.

I imagine it is better this way as you are less likely to become fixated to formulas. That is something I dispise, just grabbing formulas, at which seemed to get the best of me in this example. It suppresses critical thinking/abilities.

1. What is the significance of understanding what makes a problem different?

Understanding what makes a problem different allows scientists to accurately identify and categorize the problem, which is essential in finding an effective solution. It also helps in avoiding mistakes that may arise from treating the problem as something it is not.

2. How do you determine what makes a problem unique?

Determining what makes a problem unique involves analyzing its characteristics, context, and cause. This can be done through research, data analysis, and consultation with experts in the field.

3. Can two seemingly similar problems have different underlying causes?

Yes, two problems may have similar symptoms or effects, but they can have different underlying causes. This is why it is important to thoroughly understand the problem before attempting to find a solution.

4. Are there any tools or techniques that can help identify what makes a problem different?

Yes, there are various problem-solving techniques and tools such as root cause analysis, cause-and-effect diagrams, and SWOT analysis that can help identify what makes a problem different. These tools provide a structured approach to analyzing and understanding the problem.

5. Can a problem have multiple unique factors?

Yes, a problem can have multiple unique factors. In fact, most complex problems have multiple underlying causes that contribute to the overall issue. This is why it is important to thoroughly analyze and understand the problem before developing a solution.