B What is knowing the Tension Force good for?

Summary
This is in context to vertical circles
So, I'm working on calculating the tension force in vertical circles-and I understand how to calculate the tension force at different points in the vertical circle (via vector sums).

But what I don't really understand is how to interpret this information.

What can I further do with these tension calculations I have made?

I know that the tension force is greater at the bottom compared to at the top of the circle-but how does knowing this further explain things (e.g. the effect it has on the object in vertical circular motion?)

Thank you for you time :)

berkeman

Mentor
-1- Too much tension at the bottom of the arc breaks the rope -- bad

-2- Too little tension at the top of the arc lets the rope go slack, and people fall out of the amusement ride -- bad

:smile:

-1- Too much tension at the bottom of the arc breaks the rope -- bad

-2- Too little tension at the top of the arc lets the rope go slack, and people fall out of the amusement ride -- bad

:smile:
Wow. I can't believe it was this simple!
I feel soo... stupid.

Thank you @berkeman for clearing this up for me-it was a real eye-opener :)

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Summary: This is in context to vertical circles

I know that the tension force is greater at the bottom compared to at the top of the circle
I'm having a problem with that statement if the rope is ideal and not extendible. Wouldn't the tension have to be the same all the way round (assuming that a longitudinal tension wave travels instantly) - the sort of assumption that's used in other rope problems - e.g. pulley systems.
@berkeman 's right about the top section sagging but I don't think a break would happen anywhere in particular for an ideal rope.