What is knowing the Tension Force good for?

In summary: The tension force can be used to calculate the potential energy of an object in a vertical circular motion.
solarmidnightrose
So, I'm working on calculating the tension force in vertical circles-and I understand how to calculate the tension force at different points in the vertical circle (via vector sums).

But what I don't really understand is how to interpret this information.

What can I further do with these tension calculations I have made?

I know that the tension force is greater at the bottom compared to at the top of the circle-but how does knowing this further explain things (e.g. the effect it has on the object in vertical circular motion?)

Thank you for you time :)

Physics news on Phys.org
-1- Too much tension at the bottom of the arc breaks the rope -- bad

-2- Too little tension at the top of the arc let's the rope go slack, and people fall out of the amusement ride -- bad

:smile:

Likes sophiecentaur, anorlunda and solarmidnightrose
berkeman said:
-1- Too much tension at the bottom of the arc breaks the rope -- bad

-2- Too little tension at the top of the arc let's the rope go slack, and people fall out of the amusement ride -- bad

:smile:
Wow. I can't believe it was this simple!
I feel soo... stupid.

Thank you @berkeman for clearing this up for me-it was a real eye-opener :)

Likes anorlunda and berkeman
solarmidnightrose said:
Summary: This is in context to vertical circles

I know that the tension force is greater at the bottom compared to at the top of the circle
I'm having a problem with that statement if the rope is ideal and not extendible. Wouldn't the tension have to be the same all the way round (assuming that a longitudinal tension wave travels instantly) - the sort of assumption that's used in other rope problems - e.g. pulley systems.
@berkeman 's right about the top section sagging but I don't think a break would happen anywhere in particular for an ideal rope.

What is knowing the Tension Force good for?

Knowing the Tension Force is important for understanding the behavior of objects under tension, such as ropes, cables, and springs. It is also essential for analyzing structures like bridges and cranes.

How is the Tension Force calculated?

The Tension Force is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by its acceleration due to gravity, and adding any additional forces acting on the object.

What are some real-world applications of the Tension Force?

The Tension Force is used in a variety of fields, including engineering, physics, and sports. It is crucial in designing and constructing structures, as well as in analyzing the forces involved in activities like rock climbing and bungee jumping.

What is the difference between Tension Force and Compression Force?

Tension Force is a pulling force that stretches an object, while Compression Force is a pushing force that compresses an object. Both forces are important in understanding the stability and strength of structures.

Can the Tension Force be negative?

Yes, the Tension Force can be negative if the force is acting in the opposite direction of the object's motion. This can occur, for example, when an object is slowing down due to friction or air resistance.