Trouble Understanding Light: Seeking Help

• Thread starter Garlic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in understanding light and the concept of electromagnetic waves. The speaker suggests forgetting the term "photon" and instead focusing on the idea of electrical and magnetic fields in a vacuum. They explain that electromagnetic waves are fluctuations in these fields, similar to ripples in water. The reason why these waves are right-angled and why they do not carry electrical or magnetic charge is explained through Maxwell's equations, which can be understood through learning the mathematics behind it. The discussion of virtual photons and quantum field theory is also mentioned, but it is recommended to first understand classical electrodynamics.
Garlic
Gold Member
Hello everyone,
Although there are lots of things that I know about light, I have trouble really understanding it. I can't visualize a wave that doesn't need a medium to move. Photons are electrically neutral, so how is the thing with vertical and horizontal oscillating electric and magnetic fields happen? Everything that I've learned in the school seems to be just repetitions of subconscious memorisations.

Thank you
Note: I know this is a frequenly asked question, but other threads couldn't help me understand.

Science news on Phys.org
Garlic said:
Hello everyone,
Although there are lots of things that I know about light, I have trouble really understanding it. I can't visualize a wave that doesn't need a medium to move. Photons are electrically neutral, so how is the thing with vertical and horizontal oscillating electric and magnetic fields happen? Everything that I've learned in the school seems to be just repetitions of subconscious memorisations.

First step is to try to forget that you ever heard the word "photon" - the popular notion of photons as particles of light is seriously misleading and just getting in the way here. You won't need photons until you get to quantum mechanics; until then, every time you find yourself thinking "photon" you should try mentally substituting "flash of light" or "radio signal".

Second step is to consider that electrical and magnetic fields exist in a vacuum just fine: The electric field of a charged particle in outer space will interact with other nearby charged particles even though there's just vacuum between the particles.

Now it's easy at a non-mathematical level: the electromagnetic waves are rippling fluctuations in the strength of the electrical and magnetic fields, the same way that water waves are rippling fluctuations in the height of the water's surface. The fields are everywhere so the electromagnetic waves can go everywhere.

At a more mathematical and less hand-waving level, you can read through the sections of Purcell's E&M textbook (I believe that @bcrowell may have a pointer to a licensed non-pirated online copy) where he shows how these "ripples" form and propagate; and if you're really going to understand, sooner or later you're going to have to take on Maxwell's equations (discovered in 1861 and the basis for all of classical electrodynamics).

Likes sophiecentaur
Nugatory said:
First step is to try to forget that you ever heard the word "photon" - the popular notion of photons as particles of light is seriously misleading and just getting in the way here. You won't need photons until you get to quantum mechanics; until then, every time you find yourself thinking "photon" you should try mentally substituting "flash of light" or "radio signal".

Second step is to consider that electrical and magnetic fields exist in a vacuum just fine: The electric field of a charged particle in outer space will interact with other nearby charged particles even though there's just vacuum between the particles.

Now it's easy at a non-mathematical level: the electromagnetic waves are rippling fluctuations in the strength of the electrical and magnetic fields, the same way that water waves are rippling fluctuations in the height of the water's surface. The fields are everywhere so the electromagnetic waves can go everywhere.

At a more mathematical and less hand-waving level, you can read through the sections of Purcell's E&M textbook where he shows how these "ripples" form and propagate; and if you're really going to understand, sooner or later you're going to have to take on Maxwell's equations (discovered in 1861 and the basis for all of classical electrodynamics).

What is the reason that they aren't carry electrical or magnetic charge even though their strenght fluctates?
What is the reason that the two field fluctations are right angled? Is it so that they somehow negate each other?

...and I have already stirred my mind enough with quantum physics, aren't the mediating particle of em force virtual photons instead of photons?

Garlic said:
What is the reason that they aren't carry electrical or magnetic charge even though their strenght fluctates?
Because the ripples in the field carry energy and momentum but they don't move the charge itself. It's easy to see this if you consider two like-charged particles near each other - they're pushed apart, gaining kinetic energy and momentum in the process, but their charges are unchanged.
What is the reason that the two field fluctuations are right angled? Is it so that they somehow negate each other?
The right-angled field fluctuations jump out at you if look at Maxwell's equations, but I know of no easy non-mathematical explanation for why that happens. Your choices here are basically to learn the math (typically in the first year of a college physics program) or take the word of someone who has learned it.
and I have already stirred my mind enough with quantum physics, aren't the mediating particle of em force virtual photons instead of photons?
They are, but that's quantum field theory which combines relativity and quantum mechanics; you won't come to it until several years after you first learn quantum mechanics. However, none of this matters for understanding electromagnetic waves at the level we're discussing in this post, and none of it changes my recommendation that you try to forget that you ever heard the word "photon" for now.

Electromagnetic waves are a classical phenomenon, discovered and well understand decades before either relativity or quantum mechanics, and you understand them by applying classical electrodynamics.

Nugatory said:
Because the ripples in the field carry energy and momentum but they don't move the charge itself. It's easy to see this if you consider two like-charged particles near each other - they're pushed apart, gaining kinetic energy and momentum in the process, but their charges are unchanged.

The right-angled field fluctuations jump out at you if look at Maxwell's equations, but I know of no easy non-mathematical explanation for why that happens. Your choices here are basically to learn the math (typically in the first year of a college physics program) or take the word of someone who has learned it.

They are, but that's quantum field theory which combines relativity and quantum mechanics; you won't come to it until several years after you first learn quantum mechanics. However, none of this matters for understanding electromagnetic waves at the level we're discussing in this post, and none of it changes my recommendation that you try to forget that you ever heard the word "photon" for now.

Electromagnetic waves are a classical phenomenon, discovered and well understand decades before either relativity or quantum mechanics, and you understand them by applying classical electrodynamics.

Okay, thank you very much!

1. What is light and why is it important to understand?

Light is a form of electromagnetic radiation that is visible to the human eye. It is important to understand because it plays a crucial role in our daily lives, from providing us with sight to powering technology and enabling photosynthesis in plants.

2. What are some common difficulties in understanding light?

Some common difficulties in understanding light include comprehending its wave-particle duality, grasping the concept of color and its relationship to wavelength, understanding how light interacts with matter, and comprehending the various properties of light such as intensity and polarization.

3. What resources are available for individuals having trouble understanding light?

There are various resources available, such as textbooks, online tutorials and videos, and educational websites. Additionally, seeking help from a teacher, tutor, or scientist who specializes in optics and light can be beneficial.

4. How can understanding light benefit me?

Understanding light can benefit you in many ways. It can improve your understanding of the world around you, enhance your problem-solving skills, and enable you to appreciate the beauty and complexity of light phenomena. It can also open up career opportunities in fields such as optics, photography, and engineering.

5. Are there any common misconceptions about light that I should be aware of?

Yes, there are some common misconceptions about light, such as the belief that light travels instantaneously or that it always travels in a straight line. It is important to have a solid understanding of the properties and behaviors of light in order to avoid falling prey to these misconceptions.