What is limx-->0 f(x) when lim x-->0 g(x)=0?

• Thread starter lep11
  • Start date
In summary: Can you provide a counterexample for the second part?In summary, if |f(x)|≤g(x) for all x∈ Mf∩Mg, it is not necessarily true that limx→a f(x) = 0 when lim x-->a g(x) = 3. A counterexample would be f(x) = -1 for x < a, f(a) = 1, and g(x) = 3 for all x. In this case, |f(x)|≤g(x) and lim x-->a g(x) = 3, but limx→a f(x) does not exist.
lep11

Homework Statement

Let |f(x)|≤g(x) for all x∈ Mf∩Mg.
What is limx-->0 f(x) when lim x-->0 g(x)=3?

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, given that|f(x)|≤g(x), lim x-->0 g(x)=0 intuitively implies to me that | limx-->0 f(x) |≤0
therefore | limx-->0 f(x) |=0 --> limx-->0 f(x)=0

AND when lim x-->0 g(x)=3

|limx-->0 f(x)|≤3 ⇔ -3 ≤limx-->0 f(x)≤3

Is my reasoning correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
lep11 said:

Homework Statement

Let |f(x)|≤g(x) for all x∈ Mf∩Mg.
What is limx-->0 f(x) when lim x-->0 g(x)=3?

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, given that|f(x)|≤g(x), lim x-->0 g(x)=0 intuitively implies to me that | limx-->0 f(x) |≤0

Can you turn your intuition into a rigorous proof that [itex]\lim_{x \to 0} f(x) = 0[/itex] in this case?

AND when lim x-->0 g(x)=3

|limx-->0 f(x)|≤3 ⇔ -3 ≤limx-->0 f(x)≤3

Is my reasoning correct?

Must [itex]\lim_{x \to 0} f(x)[/itex] necessarily exist when [itex]\lim_{x \to 0} g(x) > 0[/itex]? Consider the case [tex]
f(x) = \begin{cases} -1 & x < 0, \\ 0 & x = 0, \\ 1 & x > 0, \end{cases}\qquad g(x) = 3.[/tex]

pasmith said:
Can you turn your intuition into a rigorous proof that [itex]\lim_{x \to 0} f(x) = 0[/itex] in this case?
How?

pasmith said:
Must [itex]\lim_{x \to 0} f(x)[/itex] necessarily exist when [itex]\lim_{x \to 0} g(x) > 0[/itex]? Consider the case [tex]
f(x) = \begin{cases} -1 & x < 0, \\ 0 & x = 0, \\ 1 & x > 0, \end{cases}\qquad g(x) = 3.[/tex]
No. So in that case we cannot say anythin about [itex]\lim_{x \to 0} f(x) [/itex] since it won't necessarily even exist?

However if it exists then -3 ≤limx-->0 f(x)≤3

ahh there is a small typo in the problem statement.. it should be x approaches a, not 0

I used the squeeze theorem to prove that limx→0f(x)=0

lep11 said:
ahh there is a small typo in the problem statement.. it should be x approaches a, not 0

lep11 said:
Isn't it the limit as x approaches a?So for the second part, if ##|f(x)| \le g(x)## and ##\lim_{x \to a} g(x) = 3##, is it necessarily true that ##\lim_{x \to a} f(x) = 0##?

Mark44 said:
Isn't it the limit as x approaches a?
Yes it is, I'm sorry

Mark44 said:
So for the second part, if ##|f(x)| \le g(x)## and ##\lim_{x \to a} g(x) = 3##, is it necessarily true that ##\lim_{x \to a} f(x) = 0##?
No, because limx→a f(x) won't necessarily exist when lim x-->a g(x)=3.

lep11 said:
Mark44 said:
So for the second part, if ##|f(x)| \le g(x)## and ##\lim_{x \to a} g(x) = 3##, is it necessarily true that ##\lim_{x \to a} f(x) = 0##?
lep11 said:
No, because limx→a f(x) won't necessarily exist when lim x-->a g(x)=3.
OK, I wasn't sure whether you were using the squeeze theorem for the second part.

1. What does the notation "lim x-->0" mean?

The notation "lim x-->0" means the limit of a function as x approaches 0. It represents the value that the function approaches as x gets closer and closer to 0.

2. What is the significance of "lim x-->0" in the context of limits?

The notation "lim x-->0" is used to indicate that the limit is being evaluated as x approaches a specific value, in this case 0. It helps us understand the behavior of a function near a certain point.

3. What is the difference between "lim x-->0 f(x)" and "f(0)"?

The notation "lim x-->0 f(x)" represents the limit of a function as x approaches 0, while "f(0)" represents the value of the function at x=0. The limit may or may not be equal to the value of the function at that point.

4. How does "lim x-->0 g(x)=0" impact the value of "lim x-->0 f(x)"?

If the limit of g(x) as x approaches 0 is equal to 0, it can affect the value of the limit of f(x) as x approaches 0. Depending on the specific functions, it may result in the limit of f(x) also equaling 0, or it may change the behavior of the limit of f(x).

5. Can the notation "lim x-->0" be used to evaluate a one-sided limit?

Yes, the notation "lim x-->0" can be used to evaluate both one-sided and two-sided limits. If the limit is being evaluated from the left side, it would be written as "lim x-->0-" and from the right side it would be "lim x-->0+".