What is the significance of coupling in surface plasmons and plasmon polaritons?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of coupling in the context of surface plasmons and surface plasmon polaritons. The speaker is seeking a better understanding of how a photon can couple to plasmons to create a plasmon polariton and how this coupling can confine the photon to subwavelength volumes. The other participant briefly explains that coupling refers to the portion of incident power that ends up in the surface wave.
Avardia
Hi,

I have come across the word coupling a few times looking at surface plasmons and surface plasmon polaritons. I was wondering if anyone could give me a better understanding of what it means for something like a photon to couple to a plasmons to creating a plasmon polariton. From what I'm reading it's this coupling which confines the photon to subwavelength volumes so coupling must be something considerable. This may be a very specific case but if you have answer that is more general about what coupling is I'd more than happy to receive that too.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
No one answered. In classical terms, if a wave strikes a metal at an angle to the normal, some of the incident energy is reflected, some propagates into the metal where it is dissipated and some excites a surface wave, which then propagates across the surface. I presume that surface plasmons are associated with local surface currents, part of the reflection process. The surface plasmon polaritons are presumably the electron movements associated with the surface wave as it propagates across the surface. The coupling would presumably refer to the portion of incident power ending up in the surface wave.

Likes Avardia

1. What is coupling in science?

Coupling in science refers to the interaction or connection between two or more systems or components. It is a fundamental concept in many scientific fields, including physics, chemistry, biology, and engineering.

2. How does coupling affect systems?

Coupling can have both positive and negative effects on systems. In some cases, coupling can enhance the performance or efficiency of a system by allowing for better communication and coordination between components. However, excessive or inappropriate coupling can lead to instability, inefficiency, or even failure of the system.

3. What are the different types of coupling?

There are several types of coupling, including mechanical, electrical, magnetic, and thermal coupling. Mechanical coupling involves physical contact between two systems, while electrical coupling involves the transfer of electrical signals between systems. Magnetic coupling refers to the interaction between magnetic fields of two systems, and thermal coupling involves the transfer of heat between systems.

4. How is coupling measured?

The degree of coupling between two systems can be measured using various metrics, such as the coupling coefficient, coupling factor, or coupling ratio. These metrics typically quantify the strength of the interaction or the amount of information exchanged between systems.

5. What is the difference between coupling and cohesion?

Coupling and cohesion are closely related concepts, but they refer to different aspects of a system. Coupling refers to the interaction between systems, while cohesion refers to the degree of interdependence or unity among components within a system. In general, a balance between coupling and cohesion is desirable for a well-functioning and stable system.