What Does MUV Mean in Astronomy? Understanding GN-z11 and its Redshift

In summary, the conversation discusses a paper about a galaxy called GN-z11 with a redshift of 11.1. The paper mentions that the galaxy has an absolute magnitude in UV of -21.1. The participants of the conversation are unsure of what MUV and GN-z11 stand for, but conclude that MUV refers to the galaxy's brightness and GN-z11 is derived from its location and redshift number. They also note that a more negative magnitude indicates a brighter object.
Phys12
I was going through the following paper: https://arxiv.org/pdf/1605.08054.pdf

In the 2nd line, it says, "GN-z11, a MUV=-21.1 galaxy at z=11.1."

I know, what z=11.1 is. If I'm correct, it's the redshift of the galaxy which helps in measuring its velocity.

I'm not quite sure, though, of what MUV is or why the galaxy is named GN-z11. Any help will be highly appreciated. Thanks.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I think it's the absolute magnitude in UV for the galaxy, but I'm not certain.

Drakkith said:
I think it's the absolute magnitude in UV for the galaxy, but I'm not certain.
Absolute magnitude as in brightness?

That's right.

Drakkith is right that MUV is the absolute magnitude in the UV,. As for the name, Wikipedia says,
"The object's name is derived from its location in the GOODS-North field of galaxies and its high Doppler z-scale redshift number (GN + z11)"

All right, though, why is the value negative?

1. What does MUV stand for?

MUV stands for "Morphological type, Ultraviolet flux, and Virial mass". It is a measurement used to classify and study galaxies.

2. How is MUV calculated?

MUV is calculated by combining the morphological type, ultraviolet flux, and virial mass of a galaxy. Each component is measured separately and then combined to determine the MUV value.

3. What does MUV tell us about a galaxy?

MUV provides information about the morphology, star formation rate, and overall size and mass of a galaxy. It can also give insights into the evolutionary stage of a galaxy.

4. How is MUV used in galaxy classification?

MUV is often used as an additional factor in classifying galaxies, along with other measurements such as redshift, luminosity, and spectral features. It can help to differentiate between different types of galaxies, such as spiral, elliptical, and irregular.

5. Can MUV be used to estimate the age of a galaxy?

MUV can provide some information about the evolutionary stage of a galaxy, but it is not a direct measurement of the age. Other factors, such as the presence of specific elements and the overall appearance of the galaxy, are also considered when estimating the age of a galaxy.