Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is Puerto Rico?

1. Jul 28, 2004 #1
    I'm curious. I just want to know what do you know.
    What is Puerto Rico?. A state, a republic,a nation, a colony or what?
    By the way, I am from Puerto Rico and I know the answer to these questions but after living in a foreing country for a while with people from an amazing variety of countries and backgrounds I was able to confirm that almost no one knows the complexity of Puerto Rico political status.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2004 #2
    A commonwealth of the US that gets tons of benefits from us, with self rule.

What exactly are you trying to get at?
  4. Jul 29, 2004 #3

Staff: Mentor

Being from Puerto Rico, I'm shocked you don't know. Didn't you learn about it in school? Haven't you read about the debate over its status in the newspapers?

Puerto Rico is a commonwealth and a colony, which essentially means they have all of the rights and priveleges of the states without any of the responsibilities.
  5. Jul 29, 2004 #4
    She said that she DID know the answers, she just wanted to know what other people thought.

Edit: A little gender confusion on my part.
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2004
  6. Jul 29, 2004 #5
    Here's my thought, Either crap or get off the pot. Join the rest of us and become a bonafide state or take a walk.
  7. Jul 29, 2004 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You know, it's a good question and I don't think many people will know it (especially those outside of the US). When I used to tell people I'm from the Netherlands I'd just get a blank stare, Holland usually rang a bell though (which is just a province).
  8. Jul 29, 2004 #7
    If you want your kids to learn geography, get them an international postage stamp book and a world map. The stamps from Helvetia, Magyar, Sverige and Suomi were the one's that gave me trouble at first. Nederland was a piece of cake.
  9. Jul 29, 2004 #8

Science Advisor

C'mon! The Netherlands is a fictional place that Peter Pan lived in.

You're from Holland? I thought you were Dutch?

10. Jul 29, 2004 #9

Staff: Mentor

Heh - yes, I have no reading comprehension. Then again, it was 2:15AM.
    I tend to agree. Every couple of years they debate it and nothing ever happens.

Isn't Holland a city in Amsterdam?
  11. Jul 29, 2004 #10

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:devil: yes, I'm dutch, speak German and live in Denmark..
    just how many times have I had to correct people on that :eek: really.. (even on this board (not speaking names))

:rolleyes: :biggrin: funny though
  12. Jul 29, 2004 #11
    Well, I must say that I only agree with you on the colony thing. And what are the rights you are talking about?... You mean the right to vote for our president?... The right to have comerce with other countries? The right to control our land, our seas our sky? our rigth to decide when to participate in a war? The right to have our own citizenship? military service? the right to decide who enters our contry?etc, etc.... you know,I don't think so because we have never have these rigths...!Ohhh but I understand, If we do not pay taxes every time we go to the supermarket then it is ok for us to not have this rights! yeah...I imagine that was the "privileges" you were talking about.

The commonwealth is just a fancy word to say colony...you know because in these times it's not acceptable talking of colonies. And yes, we do have a constitution of "commonwealth" that let us control our international affairs. But the powers that this constitution give us are just like voting for our majors, governor, representatives and senators who by the way cannot decide anything related with "our rights" mentioned above for which the US congress (in which we do not have voting representation) have total control.

And sadly I can say that in school history of PR is very poorly teached. But instead in some schools (you know in those in which you can only speak english and not spanish) the students have excellent courses of history of the United States, which is good because after all we do have a close ralation with US, but I think that it'is more important to know your onw history.

And I think like the guy that say that we have to become a state or go away. But the reality is that no matter what we do the final world is of the Congress. No matter of how many referendums we do, none of them count for the congress, none of them were "supported or controled" by it.

And sadly, a lot of puertoricans think that the "commonwealth" is the only secure way to go, because they are afraid of what can happen if we become a state or republic. But yes, Zaleski, the guy that said that we have to become a state or go away certainly knows that this "commonwealth" thing is not the right way to go.

Ahhhh....and by the way.... I'am a girl ( a SHE not a HE). just clarifying. :redface: :wink:
  13. Jul 29, 2004 #12
    What kind of attitude is that?

That's like Ontario telling Quebec to dump French like the rest of the Country or take a walk.

Famous baseball player Carlos Delgado from Puerto Rico really dislikes Americans. In fact, every time, "God Bless America", is sung before a game, he refuses to stand-up. He just stays in the dug-out.

Said Delgado (SI):

"It's a very terrible thing that happened on Sept. 11. It's (also) a terrible thing that happened in Afghanistan and Iraq," Delgado said at the time. "I just feel so sad for the families that lost relatives and loved ones in the war."

"But I think it's the stupidest war ever. Who are you fighting against? You're just getting ambushed now. We have more people dead now after the war than during the war," he said. "I don't support what they do. It's just stupid."

"Delgado, from Puerto Rico, also opposed the U.S. military's longtime use of the Puerto Rican island of Vieques for weapons testing"

I recall being in class once where we were doing trivia. And the teacher asked something about a Queen but nobody knew the answer (Netherlands was the answer). So I said Holland, she said I was wrong until she realized Holland was an acceptable answer.

But was it? Holland is just the name of a region in the Netherlands?
  14. Jul 29, 2004 #13
    Oh, big pardon. :redface:
  15. Jul 29, 2004 #14
    Sounds like a splendid idea to me, monsieur.
  16. Jul 29, 2004 #15
    In the famous words of Pierre Trudeau, fuddle duddle. :grumpy:

I'm noticing a lot of negative comments against Francophones in Canada. :cry:

Canada is a bilingual Country. Live with it, even if you are too lazy to learn a 2nd language. :tongue2:

Need I remind you that our former Prime Minister was Quebecois and the current, speaks perfect French? :approve:
  17. Jul 29, 2004 #16
    WOW! Lots of Canadians. I have been there and I loved it.
    C'est tres beau et la gens c'est tres amigable! :smile:
  18. Jul 30, 2004 #17
    I absolutely love the fact that Canada is bilingual. Having lived in Ontario all my life, I’ve heard a whole lot of Quebec bashing and “just let them separate” talk. It’s annoying and so stupid. I know many students think being forced to ‘learn’ French is a waste of time. I know in Ontario, students are required to take a French class from 1st grade to 9th grade. It’s too bad most of English speaking Canada is just too lazy to learn French, or remember any that they had learned. I’m like that too though.
  19. Jul 30, 2004 #18

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Calling the Netherlands Holland, is somewhat like calling Great Britain Scotland :redface: a little history lesson:

Holland used to be an independent country, until the 16th century when together with Northern and Southern Netherlands it became under the rule of the King of Spain. There was a lot of resistance of the Netherlands to break free from this rule. Southern Netherlands gave up the fight and became occupied by foreign forces, this now is Belgium. The Northern Netherlands won the fight and became a free republic consisting of different counties. These different counties are now the 13 provinces, two of those are North Holland and South Holland. Together they make up the Kingdom of the Netherlands.

It's not surprising that the world knows the Netherlands as Holland, since the Dutch East India Company established in 1602 was one of the great sea and colonial powers of Europe at the end of the 17th century.. It's the province that was mostly reclaimed from the sea, where the flower bulbs come from, where all the major cities are settled (Amsterdam, Rotterdam, The Hague). I happen to be from Holland so I don't take offense, I'm not sure how they feel in the other parts of the country :wink:
  20. Jul 30, 2004 #19

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The Netherlands is bilingual.. luckily we're not forced to learn the other language (Frisian), it's only spoken in one province. Learning the foreign languages IS mandatory, so we are tought dutch, english, german and french. Some countries are really lazy, like France and Germany, or any English speaking country for that matter too..
  21. Jul 30, 2004 #20
    It's a great big wonderful world we live in
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?