What is ramification for z^(p/q)(1-z)^(r/s)?

• Thread starter jackmell
  • Start date
In summary, the ramified branching geometry of the algebraic function is determined by the parameters p, q, r, and s, where p and q represent the exponents of z and (1-z), respectively, and r and s are integers. This geometry can be computed in terms of these parameters, with a simple formula involving the lowest common denominator of s and q. The specific example provided shows that for rational exponents, the ramified geometry consists of s-cycles and q-cycles over z=1. The individual cycles around the origin and z=1 can be determined by the exponents r and s in the function. This appears to hold true for rational exponents in general, but confirmation from others is requested.
jackmell
May I ask what is the ramified branching geometry of the algebraic function:

$$w=z^{p/q}(1-z)^{r/s},\quad (p,q,r,s)\in \mathbb{Z}\backslash\{0\}$$

and is it computable in terms of the parameters p,q,r,s? The reason I ask is that it appears to be trivially predictable and I just want to know if that is indeed the case.

Ok thanks,
Jack

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi guys,

After studying some examples and their associated Newton polygons , I've reached the tentative conclusion that the ramified geometry is indeed simply predictable:

Given the algebraic function:

$$ w=z^{r/s}(1-z)^{p/q},\quad (p,q,r,s)\in\mathbb{Z}\backslash\{0\}$$

and letting ##d=LCD(s,q)##, then the ramified geometry about the origin is simply ##d/s## s-cycles, and ##d/q## q-cycles over ##z=1##.

Take the simple example: ##w=z^{5/2}(1-z)^{4/3}##. The lowest common denominator is of course 6. And when we expand the function about its singular points we obtain three 2-cycles about the origin and two 3-cycles about the point z=1.

I'm pretty sure that's the case for rational exponents in general. Can anyone confirm this for me?

Ok thanks,
Jack

Related to What is ramification for z^(p/q)(1-z)^(r/s)?

What is the equation for "What is ramification for z^(p/q)(1-z)^(r/s)?"

The equation for "What is ramification for z^(p/q)(1-z)^(r/s)?" is z^(p/q)(1-z)^(r/s).

What do the variables in "What is ramification for z^(p/q)(1-z)^(r/s)?" represent?

The variable z represents a complex number, p and q are integers, and r and s are positive integers.

Can the equation "What is ramification for z^(p/q)(1-z)^(r/s)?" be simplified?

Yes, the equation can be simplified using properties of exponents and algebraic manipulation.

What is the significance of "What is ramification for z^(p/q)(1-z)^(r/s)?" in mathematics?

The equation "What is ramification for z^(p/q)(1-z)^(r/s)?" is often used in complex analysis and has applications in various fields of mathematics, such as number theory and geometry.

Are there any special cases or exceptions in "What is ramification for z^(p/q)(1-z)^(r/s)?"

Yes, there are special cases and exceptions for specific values of the variables. For example, when p/q is an integer, the equation simplifies to a polynomial. Additionally, when r/s is an integer, the equation has a singularity at z=1, which may have interesting implications in certain contexts.