Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is ramification for z^(p/q)(1-z)^(r/s)?

1. Nov 19, 2013 #1
    May I ask what is the ramified branching geometry of the algebraic function:

$$w=z^{p/q}(1-z)^{r/s},\quad (p,q,r,s)\in \mathbb{Z}\backslash\{0\}$$

and is it computable in terms of the parameters p,q,r,s? The reason I ask is that it appears to be trivially predictable and I just want to know if that is indeed the case.

Ok thanks,
    Jack

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2013 #2
    Hi guys,

After studying some examples and their associated Newton polygons , I've reached the tentative conclusion that the ramified geometry is indeed simply predictable:

Given the algebraic function:

$$ w=z^{r/s}(1-z)^{p/q},\quad (p,q,r,s)\in\mathbb{Z}\backslash\{0\}$$

and letting ##d=LCD(s,q)##, then the ramified geometry about the origin is simply ##d/s## s-cycles, and ##d/q## q-cycles over ##z=1##.

Take the simple example: ##w=z^{5/2}(1-z)^{4/3}##. The lowest common denominator is of course 6. And when we expand the function about its singular points we obtain three 2-cycles about the origin and two 3-cycles about the point z=1.

I'm pretty sure that's the case for rational exponents in general. Can anyone confirm this for me?

Ok thanks,
    Jack

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook