Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is seeing an object?

1. Jun 28, 2015 #1
    When you see something you actually see the light reflected from that object. Something of a good topic to discuss.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2015 #2

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Do you have a question about it?

4. Jun 28, 2015 #3
    Seeing an object is "objectified" by having an object see you back with very little time delay. Then we might see "eye to eye".

5. Jun 28, 2015 #4
    The word 'Seeing' (in it's most usual context), can be pretty much defined as meaning the perception of light.
    We have a very good understanding of how light is physically detected by eyes and how eyes generate nerve signals representing the light detected.
    As for how the brain is able to translate the nerve signals as recognisable objects, as far as I know this remains largely undiscovered, other than that we do know that certain areas of the physical brain are involved.

6. Jun 28, 2015 #5

Dale

Staff: Mentor

With that, I think we will close this topic. @avito009 you may open a new thread on the topic, but make sure that you have a specific question in your opening post rather than just a vague statement.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook