What is so called SELF ENERGY?

It was later refined by Paul Dirac and is a fundamental concept in quantum field theory. In summary, Self Energy is a concept in quantum mechanics that describes the energy of a system due to its interaction with itself, and it is especially important in understanding the behavior of electrons in atoms and molecules. It was first introduced in 1923 and is a fundamental concept in quantum field theory.
burak_ilhan
What is so called SELF ENERGY? I know the explanation that it is the energy that a point charge has when it is by itself,at a large distance from other charges. In textbook (ohanian) says that it takes work to assemble the point charge out of infinitesimal pieces of charge.The energy needed to assemble the point charge is called the self-energy of the point charge.I know that this explanation is clear enough.But as i know e=1.6*10^-19 C , the charge of electron or proton is the smallest charge, and all other charges are INTEGER*e.So I thought that I can assume that self energy of an electron is zero.But I learned that it turns out to be Infinite...

Physics news on Phys.org
Self Energy is a concept in quantum mechanics that describes the energy of a system due to its interaction with itself. It is a form of self-inductance and is especially important in understanding the behavior of electrons in atoms and molecules.

The self-energy of an electron was first introduced in 1923 by Arnold Sommerfeld to solve the problem of the anomalous Zeeman effect.

1. What is self energy?

Self energy refers to the energy that an object has due to its own presence in space, regardless of any external forces acting upon it.

2. How is self energy different from potential energy?

Self energy is a type of potential energy that is specific to an object's own presence, while potential energy can also refer to the energy an object has due to its position in relation to other objects.

3. What is the significance of self energy in physics?

Self energy plays an important role in understanding the behavior and interactions of particles in various physical systems, such as in quantum mechanics and electromagnetism.

4. Can self energy be measured or observed?

While it cannot be directly measured or observed, self energy can be calculated and is often used in theoretical models and equations to predict the behavior of particles.

5. How does self energy relate to the concept of mass?

In Einstein's theory of relativity, mass is considered a form of energy, and self energy contributes to the total energy of a particle. This relationship is described by the famous equation E=mc^2, where E represents energy, m represents mass, and c is the speed of light.