What is the Angular Dependence of Electron Scattering?

In summary, the problem involves a heavy nucleus and an electron approaching it with some momentum pi and scattering off at an angle θ and momentum pf. The vector q is defined as pi - pf and its magnitude squared is given by q^2 = 2p^2(1-cos(θ)). The angular dependence of the scattering is determined by the Rutherford formula, which shows that the scattering cross section is proportional to 1/(sin^4(θ/2)). The solution involves using Fermi's Golden Rule and the matrix element |Mfi|, which includes a term for 1/q^4. However, after further examination, it is discovered that the mass m in the equation is equal to 0, rendering
jeebs
hi,
here's the problem:

imagine a heavy nucleus and an electron approaching it with some momentum pi.
it scatters elastically off the nucleus at some angle [tex]\theta[/tex] and momentum pf. the nucleus can be considered to remain at rest, since it is so massive.

I have to start with the definition of vector q = pi - pf, get an expression for q^2 (the square of the magnitude of the vector q), and show that the angular dependence of the scattering is given by the Rutherford formula,

[tex]\frac{d\sigma}{d\Omega}[/tex] [tex]\propto 1/(sin^4(\theta/2))
[/tex]

my attempted solution:

so far I've worked out that q2 = (pi - pf)2 = pi2 - pf2 - 2pi.pf
ie. q2 = 2p2 - 2p2cos([tex]\theta[/tex])
= 2p2(1-cos([tex]\theta[/tex]))
since the magnitudes of pi and pf are equal.

then I got 1 - cos([tex]\theta[/tex]) = 2sin2([tex]\theta/2[/tex])
by using cos(A+B) = cos(A)cos(B) - sin(A)sin(B) where A = B = [tex]\theta/2[/tex]

then I looked at Fermi's Golden Rule:

[tex]\frac{d\sigma}{d\Omega}[/tex] = ([tex]2\pi[/tex]/[tex]\hbar[/tex])|Mfi|2Df

where the matrix element |Mfi| = [tex]\frac{4g^2\pi\hbar}{q^2 + (mc)^2}[/tex]
which is a result that is given to me in a previous part of the problem.

clearly when used in Fermi's Golden Rule, the square of the matrix element gives 3 terms, one of which is the 1/q4 term I am looking for, but also 2 other terms. Is there a way for me to get rid of the 2 extra terms or am I barking up the wrong tree here?

thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
actually, ignore this question, i figured it out. the mass m = 0. I'm an idiot. can't even find a way to delete the question.

1. What is electron scattering?

Electron scattering refers to the phenomenon where an electron collides with another particle, causing it to change direction and/or lose energy.

2. How are electron scattering angles measured?

Electron scattering angles are typically measured using a technique called electron scattering spectroscopy, where the scattered electrons are detected and analyzed by a detector.

3. What factors affect electron scattering angles?

The scattering angle of an electron can be affected by the energy and momentum of the incoming electron, as well as the properties of the target material and the interaction between the two particles.

4. What is the significance of electron scattering angles in scientific research?

Electron scattering angles provide valuable information about the structure and properties of materials, and are used in a variety of scientific fields such as physics, chemistry, and materials science.

5. How is the data from electron scattering angles analyzed?

The data from electron scattering angles is typically analyzed using mathematical models and simulations to understand the behavior of the particles involved and to extract meaningful information about the material being studied.