What is the area between the functions $y = |2x|$ and $y = x^2 - 3$?

In summary: The second equation is$\displaystyle \frac{x^3}{3}+3x = 0$and so the points of intersection are$x = 3, 1$
tmt1
Hi,

I need to find the area between these 2 functions:

$$y = |2x|$$

and

$$y = x^2 - 3$$

So I need to find the points of intersection:

$$|2x| - x^2 + 3 = 0$$

for which I get

x = 3, -1

However, since there are no negative x values in y = |2x| I get

$x = 3, 1$

I find that $y = |2x| $is greater than$ y = x^2 - 3$ for this range so

$$\int_{1}^{3} |2x| - x^2 + 3 \,dx$$

So I get

$$\left[x^2 - \frac{x^3}{3} + 3x]\right]_1^3$$

$(9 - 9/3 + 9) - (1 -1/3 + 3)$

and my answer is

$34/3$

However, the answer is 18.

I wasn't sure how to deal with the absolute value exactly so that may be the problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
You've made a mistake in the calculations of the points of interesection. It has to be: $x=3$ and $x=-3$.

To solve problems like this I would recommend to make a plot of the functions to see the area between them more clearly. It'll make it easier for you to spot the integration bounds.

tmt said:
Hi,

I need to find the area between these 2 functions:

$$y = |2x|$$

and

$$y = x^2 - 3$$

So I need to find the points of intersection:

$$|2x| - x^2 + 3 = 0$$

for which I get

x = 3, -1

However, since there are no negative x values in y = |2x| I get

$x = 3, 1$

I find that $y = |2x| $is greater than$ y = x^2 - 3$ for this range so

$$\int_{1}^{3} |2x| - x^2 + 3 \,dx$$

So I get

$$\left[x^2 - \frac{x^3}{3} + 3x]\right]_1^3$$

$(9 - 9/3 + 9) - (1 -1/3 + 3)$

and my answer is

$34/3$

However, the answer is 18.

I wasn't sure how to deal with the absolute value exactly so that may be the problem.

Note that $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \left| 2x \right| = \begin{cases} \phantom{-}2x \textrm{ if } x \geq 0 \\ -2x \textrm{ if } x < 0 \end{cases} \end{align*}$

so you actually have two equations to solve, the first being

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} 2x = x^2 - 3 \end{align*}$ for $\displaystyle \begin{align*} x \geq 0 \end{align*}$ and $\displaystyle \begin{align*} -2x = x^2 - 3 \end{align*}$ for $\displaystyle \begin{align*} x < 0 \end{align*}$.

Related to What is the area between the functions $y = |2x|$ and $y = x^2 - 3$?

What is the "area between 2 functions"?

The area between 2 functions refers to the region enclosed by the two curves when graphed on a coordinate plane. It is the area between the two curves and the x-axis.

How is the area between 2 functions calculated?

The area between 2 functions can be calculated by finding the definite integral of the absolute value of the difference between the two functions over the desired interval. This can be done using various integration techniques such as the trapezoidal rule or Riemann sums.

What is the significance of finding the area between 2 functions?

Finding the area between 2 functions can provide valuable information about the relationship between the two functions. It can also be used to solve real-world problems such as finding the total displacement of an object over a given time interval.

Can the area between 2 functions be negative?

Yes, the area between 2 functions can be negative if the top curve is below the bottom curve in certain areas. This indicates that the top function is below the bottom function at those points.

Are there any limitations to calculating the area between 2 functions?

Yes, there are limitations to calculating the area between 2 functions. One limitation is that the functions must be continuous over the desired interval. Additionally, the functions should not intersect more than twice within the interval, otherwise the area may not be accurately calculated.