What is the capacitance of the system between P and Q?

In summary, the conversation discusses a diagram of four metallic plates with a surface area of S, separated by distances of d and 2d. The question asks for the capacitance of the system between points P and Q. The given options are A. ## \frac{ε_0S}{3d} ##, B. ## \frac{ε_0S}{2d} ##, C. ## \frac{3ε_0S}{2d} ##, and D. ## \frac{3ε_0S}{d} ##. The conversation discusses the arrangement of the plates and the formula for calculating capacitance between two parallel plate capacitors without a dielectric. Through discussion and analysis, it is determined
Raghav Gupta

Homework Statement

Snapshothi.jpg

Four metallic plates each of surface area S are placed at some distance from each other as shown in figure.
Then capacitance of the system between P and Q is

A. ## \frac{ε_0S}{3d} ##

B. ## \frac{ε_0S}{2d} ##

C. ## \frac{3ε_0S}{2d} ##

D. ## \frac{3ε_0S}{d} ##

Homework Equations

Between 2 parallel plate capacitors without dielectric capacitance is given as
$$ C = \frac{ε_0A}{d} $$ where A is surface area of plates and d is distance between them.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know if two plates are in series then equivalent capacitance is ## \frac{1}{C_{eq}}= \frac{1}{C_1} + \frac{1}{C_2} ##
If they are in parallel then equivalent C is C1 + C2.
But I don"t know what the system is in diagram.

Post Script: How do I disable the red lines coming on words below? I am using first time computer for posting a problem in PF.

Physics news on Phys.org
Raghav Gupta said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 83496

Four metallic plates each of surface area S are placed at some distance from each other as shown in figure.
Then capacitance of the system between P and Q is

A. ## \frac{ε_0S}{3d} ##

B. ## \frac{ε_0S}{2d} ##

C. ## \frac{3ε_0S}{2d} ##

D. ## \frac{3ε_0S}{d} ##

Homework Equations

Between 2 parallel plate capacitors without dielectric capacitance is given as
$$ C = \frac{ε_0A}{d} $$ where A is surface area of plates and d is distance between them.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know if two plates are in series then equivalent capacitance is ## \frac{1}{C_{eq}}= \frac{1}{C_1} + \frac{1}{C_2} ##
If they are in parallel then equivalent C is C1 + C2.
But I don"t know what the system is in diagram.

Post Script: How do I disable the red lines coming on words below? I am using first time computer for posting a problem in PF.

The middle plates can be doubled and connected, it is the same set-up. So it is three capacitors, like in the figure, all having the same plate surface area. How are the ones with 2d distance connected?

threecapacitors.JPG

ehild said:
The middle plates can be doubled and connected, it is the same set-up. So it is three capacitors, like in the figure, all having the same plate surface area. How are the ones with 2d distance connected?

View attachment 83500
How did you convert my diagram to that? Is there some method?

I t
Raghav Gupta said:
How did you convert my diagram to that? Is there some method?
I told you in the previous post. The middle plates can be thought as two plates, connected together by a wire. The arrngement on the left is equivalent with the one on the right: two capacitors, with plates AB and B'C.
Originally, the plates A and B are connected. Do the same on the right ones.
transformcap.JPG

Likes Raghav Gupta
Okay, the diagram was the important part.
Now, 2d plates are in parallel
So capacitance is adding both 2 capacitances ε0S/d
Then they are in series with d plate
So capacitance is 1/2 of ε0S/d which is ε0S/2d . So option B is correct.
Thanks ehild.

You are welcome :smile:

Likes Raghav Gupta

What is capacitance?

Capacitance is a measure of an object's ability to store an electric charge. It is represented by the symbol C and is measured in farads (F).

How do you calculate capacitance?

The capacitance of a system can be calculated by dividing the electric charge (Q) stored in the system by the voltage (V) across it. This is represented by the formula C = Q/V.

What factors affect the capacitance of a system?

The capacitance of a system is affected by several factors including the distance between the conductors, the area of the conductors, and the type of dielectric material between the conductors.

What is the unit of capacitance?

The unit of capacitance is the farad (F), named after the English physicist Michael Faraday. It is a large unit, so capacitance is often expressed in smaller units such as microfarads (μF) or picofarads (pF).

Why is capacitance important?

Capacitance is important in many practical applications such as in electronic circuits, where it is used to store charge and regulate the flow of electricity. It is also important in power systems, as it helps to improve the efficiency of energy transmission and distribution.