What is the capacitance of the system between P and Q?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Raghav Gupta
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Capacitance System
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
Raghav Gupta
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
76

Homework Statement


Snapshothi.jpg


Four metallic plates each of surface area S are placed at some distance from each other as shown in figure.
Then capacitance of the system between P and Q is

A. ## \frac{ε_0S}{3d} ##

B. ## \frac{ε_0S}{2d} ##

C. ## \frac{3ε_0S}{2d} ##

D. ## \frac{3ε_0S}{d} ##

Homework Equations


Between 2 parallel plate capacitors without dielectric capacitance is given as
$$ C = \frac{ε_0A}{d} $$ where A is surface area of plates and d is distance between them.

The Attempt at a Solution


I know if two plates are in series then equivalent capacitance is ## \frac{1}{C_{eq}}= \frac{1}{C_1} + \frac{1}{C_2} ##
If they are in parallel then equivalent C is C1 + C2.
But I don"t know what the system is in diagram.

Post Script: How do I disable the red lines coming on words below? I am using first time computer for posting a problem in PF.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Raghav Gupta said:

Homework Statement


View attachment 83496

Four metallic plates each of surface area S are placed at some distance from each other as shown in figure.
Then capacitance of the system between P and Q is

A. ## \frac{ε_0S}{3d} ##

B. ## \frac{ε_0S}{2d} ##

C. ## \frac{3ε_0S}{2d} ##

D. ## \frac{3ε_0S}{d} ##

Homework Equations


Between 2 parallel plate capacitors without dielectric capacitance is given as
$$ C = \frac{ε_0A}{d} $$ where A is surface area of plates and d is distance between them.

The Attempt at a Solution


I know if two plates are in series then equivalent capacitance is ## \frac{1}{C_{eq}}= \frac{1}{C_1} + \frac{1}{C_2} ##
If they are in parallel then equivalent C is C1 + C2.
But I don"t know what the system is in diagram.

Post Script: How do I disable the red lines coming on words below? I am using first time computer for posting a problem in PF.

The middle plates can be doubled and connected, it is the same set-up. So it is three capacitors, like in the figure, all having the same plate surface area. How are the ones with 2d distance connected?

threecapacitors.JPG
 
ehild said:
The middle plates can be doubled and connected, it is the same set-up. So it is three capacitors, like in the figure, all having the same plate surface area. How are the ones with 2d distance connected?

View attachment 83500
How did you convert my diagram to that? Is there some method?
 
I t
Raghav Gupta said:
How did you convert my diagram to that? Is there some method?
I told you in the previous post. The middle plates can be thought as two plates, connected together by a wire. The arrngement on the left is equivalent with the one on the right: two capacitors, with plates AB and B'C.
Originally, the plates A and B are connected. Do the same on the right ones.
transformcap.JPG
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Raghav Gupta
Okay, the diagram was the important part.
Now, 2d plates are in parallel
So capacitance is adding both 2 capacitances ε0S/d
Then they are in series with d plate
So capacitance is 1/2 of ε0S/d which is ε0S/2d . So option B is correct.
Thanks ehild.
 
You are welcome :smile:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Raghav Gupta