What is the center of SL(n,C)?

• Thread starter cmj1988
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Center
In summary, the center of SL(n,C) is the set of all diagonal matrices. This is because diagonal matrices commute with each other and are also simultaneously diagonalizable, making them the only matrices that satisfy the condition of the center of a group.
cmj1988
What is the center of SL(n,C)?

I understand that the center of a group is where all elements commute with the group G. So I figure that I should come up with a case in which matricies commute. I remember a few facts from Linear Algebra:

Fact 1: Simultaneously diagonalizeanle matricies lend itself to commutivity
Fact 2: Matrix multiplication is associative

So given an M in SL(n,C) and an A, B in GL(n,C):
D1=MAM-1
D2=MBM-1

So, AB=M-1D1MM-1D2M=M-1D1D2M

We know that diagonal matricies are commutative

M-1D2D1M

Invoking associativity

BA

I'm not sure if I actually answered the question.

Physics news on Phys.org
As you said at the beginning, "the center of a group is where all elements commute with the group G". "Simultaneously diagonalizable" matrices commute with each other but not, generally, with other matrices. Also, matrices A and B may be simultaneously diagonalizable, and matrices C and D may be simultaneously diagonalizable, but A and B not simultaneously diagaonalizabel with C and D. Which pair would you take as center?

Instead of thinking about "diagonalizable" matrices, look at diagonal matrices.

So all diagonal matrices?

FAQ: What is the center of SL(n,C)?

1. What does "SL(n,C)" mean in the context of the center of a group?

SL(n,C) refers to a specific group in mathematics called the special linear group, where n represents the dimension and C represents the field of complex numbers. The center of this group is a subset of elements that commute with all other elements in the group.

2. How is the center of SL(n,C) defined?

The center of SL(n,C) is defined as the set of matrices whose determinant is equal to 1 and all other entries are equal to 0. In other words, it is the set of diagonal matrices with 1s on the main diagonal.

3. Why is the center of a group important in mathematics?

The center of a group plays a crucial role in understanding the structure and properties of the group. It can provide insight into the symmetry and symmetry-breaking of the group, as well as aid in solving equations and determining subgroups.

4. How does the center of SL(n,C) relate to other groups?

The center of SL(n,C) is a normal subgroup of the general linear group GL(n,C), and it is isomorphic to the multiplicative group of complex numbers, denoted as C*. This means that it shares certain properties and structures with these other groups.

5. What are some real-world applications of studying the center of SL(n,C)?

The special linear group and its center have applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. For example, they are used in quantum mechanics to describe the symmetries of particles, in control systems to model transformations, and in cryptography to encrypt and decrypt data.