1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the center of SL(n,C)?

1. Nov 15, 2009 #1
    What is the center of SL(n,C)?

I understand that the center of a group is where all elements commute with the group G. So I figure that I should come up with a case in which matricies commute. I remember a few facts from Linear Algebra:

Fact 1: Simultaneously diagonalizeanle matricies lend itself to commutivity
    Fact 2: Matrix multiplication is associative

So given an M in SL(n,C) and an A, B in GL(n,C):
    D1=MAM-1
    D2=MBM-1

So, AB=M-1D1MM-1D2M=M-1D1D2M

We know that diagonal matricies are commutative

M-1D2D1M

Invoking associativity

BA

I'm not sure if I actually answered the question.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

As you said at the beginning, "the center of a group is where all elements commute with the group G". "Simultaneously diagonalizable" matrices commute with each other but not, generally, with other matrices. Also, matrices A and B may be simultaneously diagonalizable, and matrices C and D may be simultaneously diagonalizable, but A and B not simultaneously diagaonalizabel with C and D. Which pair would you take as center?

Instead of thinking about "diagonalizable" matrices, look at diagonal matrices.

4. Nov 16, 2009 #3
    So all diagonal matrices?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook